The study of instrumental music opens an adventure of wonder, knowledge, appreciation and discovery! Band is open to children in grades 5 through 8. Students can choose from any woodwind, brass, or percussion instrument. Beginning and intermediate/advanced band is offered on a regular weekly basis during the school day. Kennedy Catholic High School provides the instruction under faculty member, Frances McKamey, who travels to Holy Rosary for band instruction.
Students learn the basics of music, develop the skills to play a traditional band instrument, as well as experience the pride felt in belonging to a school performance group. Music is a great channel to enhance a child’s self-esteem!
Since 1984, hundreds of students have actively taken part in this program. The highlight of the academic year is the annual Band Festival. All the band members of the nine schools join forces with the Kennedy Band for a fun-filled evening of music at the high school in May. The Honor Band and a summer band camp are also additional opportunities for our young musicians! Eighth grade graduates entering Kennedy Catholic High School will find a smooth transition into the award winning high school band!
- No previous experience is needed, but students must be in grades 5-8.
- Tuition is $15.00 per month, which is paid to Holy Rosary School. Payments are from September through May.
- A rental program by one of our local music dealers supplies the instruments at reasonable prices. (A-Sharp Music located in Renton, Music & Arts located in Burien, Westside Music in West Seattle) The required method book and music stand may also be purchased at the upcoming rental meeting (Date TBA). Although most of our band parents choose to rent the instruments, many have family owned instruments to use. Details regarding the rental meeting and a price sheet will be handed out at the band assembly.
- Band Today Book 1 is required for every instrument (student must purchase).
Band class in a traditional school year is held on Mondays and Wednesdays. Please see times below:
Monday: School Band (grades 6-8) from 10am-10:45am. Beginning band (5th grade) is 10:45-11:30am
Wednesday: School Band (grades 6-8) from 2:30-3:15pm. Beginning band (5th grade) is 1:45pm-2:30pm
- 5th grade band presentation – Wednesday, Sep. 7th – 1pm-1:30pm/School Hall (Selected band members perform)
- Instrument Rental Mtg. – TBA
- First day of band – Monday, Sept. 12th – Special screening/5th grade – 1:30pm-2pm/School Hall & School Band 2:15pm-3pm/School Hall
- Rehearsal for Christmas Program – Dec. 14th/Wednesday 2:30pm-3:15pm/Holy Rosary Church
- Christmas Program – Thursday, December 15th at 6pm/Holy Rosary Church
- Honor Band Tour – Tuesday, May 2nd – All day for Honor Band members
- Band Festival – May 10th – Required for grades 5-8 / 7pm at Kennedy Catholic High School
- 4th grade Recruit Assembly – Monday, May 17th – 10:30am-11:00am/School Hall, Band members / grades 5-8 perform
- Talent Show: May 19th/Friday
- Kennedy Spring Instruction Program – TBA, Honor Band only
Please contact Frances McKamey with questions.