Dear Holy Rosary families,
Spring is in the air! And the days are flying by…..it will be June before we know it.
We’re busy in the planning stages for next year, planning for summer projects, ordering supplies, and before we know it well be back at it again.
In preparation, a few reminders that will help us finish a few things in a timely way:
- Please make sure you have entered all of your volunteer hours by the end of May. We will be working that next week to bill families who have not completed their hours. This will help us wrap this up prior to the last day of school. Thank you for all of the time you have spent supporting our school. We couldn’t do it without you! Enter your hours here; the cutoff is Wednesday, May 31.
- All reimbursements need to be turned in within 30 days of the original expense, and all are due no later than June 9th. This will help us process all reimbursements and close our fiscal year June 30. The reimbursement form can be found here at the bottom of the page.
Thank you so much with your assistance with these important things!
Have a wonderful rest of the week!!
Missionary Discipleship in Action
Some of our junior high students and Mrs. Whetham were recognized for their actions in living as missionary disciples. Check it out click here for the article!
Summer Parade Float Builders Needed
Are you creative and a little bit handy? Looking to get your volunteer hours done before school even starts? We are looking for some people to design and build the float for the West Seattle Parade in July. This is a wonderful way to share our school with the larger community. If you are interested, or to find our more information, contact Anna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Holy Rosary At Robotics Extravaganza
Holy Rosary will have a group of student representatives and their Lego robots from our Robotics elective attending this Saturday’s Seattle Prep Robotics Extravaganza from 9-11 a.m. in the Seattle Prep gym. Students and parents of all ages are free to join us in seeing a sensational exhibit of robotics from all over the Archdiocese. Details, information, and directions are here.
Welcome New Incoming Families
We have several new families joining our school in various grades from kindergarten through grade 8. Become an Ambassador Family for the school and share your Holy Rosary knowledge with a new family! This begins in June with an introduction, and counts towards next year’s volunteer hours. Meeting up for ice cream or hosting a playdate during the summer will count towards general volunteer hours. Start early! More details and sign-up information can be found here.
A NEW WAY TO GIVE, ON MAY 22 – Holy Rosary is partnering with the American Red Cross to hold our first Blood Drive! Giving blood is giving the gift of life, and we want to show that our school and church community’s spirit of love and generosity goes beyond our immediate Holy Rosary family. The blood drive will be open to the West Seattle community, but we hope that you will lead the way. Please consider donating on May 22 from 2-7 p.m.
To register and reserve your spot, please visit: www.redcrossblood.org and enter sponsor code: HolyRosarySeattle. For more information, please contact Amanda Roberts at 425-922-2834.
Pizza Lunch Save the Date
Next Thursday will be our final eighth grade pizza lunch. Please note it is on Thursday, not Friday next week.
Thursday, May 11 is our last Parents Club meeting of the year. Please come and celebrate the fantastic year that we have had. We will be announcing and celebrating our eighth grade Parent Volunteer of the Year. To thank our parents for all the amazing work they did and continue to do, we will be raffling off ten $25 Amazon gift cards! As always, childcare will be provided. Social hour starts at 6:30 p.m. and meeting at 7:00 p.m. Please come and join the celebration.
Join the 2017/2018 Parents Club Leadership Team – Vice President
We are already looking ahead to a fantastic 2017/2018 school year. Before you know it, September will be upon us bringing new teachers, new friends, and a fresh start to a new year of memories. Have you considered being a part of the Parents Club leadership team? Get to know new families, learn more about the inner workings of the school and lend your talent to our incredible school by representing our parent community.
We would love to have you join Parents Club as next year’s Vice President. Click here for a full position description. Please contact Joellyn DeRonghe (email@example.com) or Dino Annest (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
Still need more convincing? Volunteer hours…that’s right; Parents Club leadership positions fulfill the entire 50-hour requirement by being a leader in our community.
Concert time is here! ALL band members (grades 5-8) will be performing at the Talent Show on May 12. As is all concerts, this is a graded performance/attendance is required. We are excited to share our music with all of you!
Parents: Band Festival is on May 17 at Kennedy Catholic at 7 p.m. You should have received the required field trip form. Please return ASAP.
Catch the 2017 Honor Band Tour Performance at Holy Rosary on May 9 at 9 a.m.!
BAND CAMP – Please note the Kennedy Catholic Elementary Summer Band Camp flier on the Holy Rosary Summer Camps page! Keep the music going!
Recess Duty 2017-2018
Double your volunteer hours for next year. Now is the perfect opportunity to sign up for next year’s lunch recess duty. The time is 11:15-1:15 daily. Double volunteer hours are given to those who complete a full two hours on their assigned day. We ask that you choose one specific day per week for the entire year. Email Jennifer Hazzard (email@example.com) that you are interested in doing recess duty for next year and indicate the day of the week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday) in which you are interested. Thank you.
AUCTION – Don’t forget to apply for MATCHING FUNDS. We can still make our goal of $60,000 for the fire alarm if all those who are eligible apply for their match. No amount is too small and most companies offer the application online. Need help figuring out the process, please contact Beth Martin.
ANNUAL FUND – Now that the auction is in the books, our focus for the remainder of the year will be the ANNUAL FUND. If you made a pledge at the beginning of the school year, and you are not making payments, please fulfill that pledge before the end of April. If you have NOT had an opportunity to make an annual fund donation, I urge you to help us reach 100% participation. No amount is too small. When applying for grants, a higher percentage of participation allows the granting committee know that we have exhausted our resources at the family level. Currently we are at 63% and I know we can do better! Click here to make a donation.
GIVE BIG – Holy Rosary is once again participating in GIVE BIG. The date is set for Wednesday, May 10. Many companies encourage their employees to participate in this Nationwide Day of Giving. Please fulfill your Annual Fund pledge or make a donation to Holy Rosary!
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES – Tired of figuring out how you will get those hours in? We have a few co-chair positions available:
- MAGAZINE CO-CHAIRS – This fundraiser nets HRS 60k annually! You will fulfill all your hours in the fall and not have to worry about it the rest of the year. Our past co-chairs are happy to meet and walk you through the steps this spring. Beth is meeting with the magazine company in May, so please reach out to her if interested. This is a great job for two friends and we are looking for a two-year commitment.
- AUCTION SOFTWARE CO-CHAIRS – Get a behind the scenes look at our largest fundraiser. You can be a member of the team and still attend the auction that night. We are looking for 2 individuals that are tech savvy to assist with the Greater Giving Auction Software. One person would assist procurement and the other would handle reservations and updating the web site. The software is user friendly and the current chair will be available via email for questions.
The above Co-Chair positions are crucial to our two largest fundraising events. We NEED people to step-up and fill these positions. Thank you!
FALL SOCCER REGISTRATION – Holy Rosary offers exciting soccer programs for grades K-8. Fall soccer registration is now open for players through July 31. Come play with us and register today! Cost is $85 and includes a new uniform and ball. Click here for the sign up.
SOCCER COACHES WANTED – Earn general volunteer hours by coaching a Holy Rosary soccer team. No experience necessary. Click here to sign up.
Henry Nicholas S.
Henry Paul S.
Congratulations! Let us keep them in our prayers.
SIGN UP YOUR YOUTH FOR OUR MAY YOUTH EVENTS:
- Fieldtrip and dinner with Sisters of St. Joseph at Providence Mount Saint Vincent’s, Sunday, May 7 from 3:30-6:30 p.m. Sign up here.
- Youth Group Study Hall, Thursday, May 18 from 6:30-8:30 p.m., in the Holy Rosary School Hall. Sign up here.
- Youth Group End-of-Year Youth Ministry Picnic at Alki, Sunday, June 4 from 5-8 p.m., at Alki. Sign up here.
SUMMER CAMPS – New summer camps have been added! Visit our summer camp page for all the summer camp offerings.
SUMMER SITTING AND NANNYING– Visit our page for summer nannying and sitting services offered by Holy Rosary alumni.
LEE’S MARTIAL ARTS
Kids’ Self-Defense/Parent’s Night Out Combo Fundraiser!
- Date: Friday, May 12, 4-10 p.m.
- Instructor: Lisa Skvarla
- Includes: Enjoy six hours of free time. Your kids get education, dinner, kid appropriate movie, popcorn, and fun! Space is limited.
- Call to Register: 206-938-3375
- Where: Lee’s Martial Arts West Seattle at 3270 California Ave SW
This is a fundraiser for the short film It’s a Wrap, written by Lee Coston Ryan and produced by Lisa Skvarla. The film is a comedy thriller with a strange and unexpected twist.
The requested donation for the kids’ self-defense class (4-6 p.m.) is $35. The requested donation for the Parents’ Night Out (6-10 p.m.) is $40 /child $65/ Siblings. Combo pricing for both events is $75 for single child and $100 for siblings. All amounts of donations are welcome and tax deductible. Click here for more information on our website.
Women’s/Girl’s Self-Defense Seminar (For Ages 11+)
- Date: Wednesday, May 17, 7-9 p.m.
- Instructor: Lisa Skvarla
- Call to Register: 206-938-3375
- Where: Lee’s Martial Arts West Seattle at 3270 California Ave SW.
Get a course in reality acting on how to protect yourself. Learn street awareness, boundary setting, verbal and physical self-defense and improvised weapons. Demonstrations and hands-on practice included. Cost: $40. Click here for more information on our website.
Upcoming Dates To Remember
- 5/12 – talent show
- 5/20 – eighth grade baccalaureate mass and dinner
- 5/26 – field day – noon dismiss
- 5/29 – Memorial Day – no school
- 6/1 – eighth grade graduation
- 6/6 – kindergarten graduation
- 6/7 – new parent orientation/kindergarten round-up
- 6/8 – noon dismiss
- 6/9 – last day of school (dismissal after mass)