Dear Holy Rosary families,
Could it be, that the weather might finally be turning? There is sun shining as I write this, so fingers crossed!
We will be begin the first of our celebrations for our graduates this Saturday, at the 5 p.m. baccalaureate mass. The baccalaureate mass will be held at the regular Saturday evening mass time, so I hope you will be able to join our community as we come together in prayer and pray especially for those soon to graduate!
We have had many people come forward to volunteer for specific parts of building the float for the summer parade. We are in need of one person to take charge of coordinating it all- that is, making sure all volunteers are on the same page as to timing, dates, etc….this would be a great way to get many volunteer hours done before school even starts! Please contact me (email@example.com) if you are interested in this coordination role.
Have a wonderful rest of the week!
This Monday, May 22, Holy Rosary will host its first blood drive with the American Red Cross. Thanks for your participation.
The event will be held in the school hall between 2-7 p.m. Please feel free to brings kids along. Extra Holy Rosary parents will be on hand to help out during your blood draw.
Giving blood is giving the gift of life, and we want to show that our school and church community’s spirit of love and generosity goes beyond our immediate Holy Rosary family. The blood drive will be open to the West Seattle community as well.
Welcome New Incoming Families
We have several new families joining our school in various grades from kindergarten through grade 8. Become an Ambassador Family for the school and share your Holy Rosary knowledge with a new family! This begins in June with an introduction, and counts towards next year’s volunteer hours. Meeting up for ice cream or hosting a playdate during the summer will count towards general volunteer hours. Start early! More details and sign-up information can be found here.
A Super Plan for Summer Reading
- First: Leslie S., the children’s librarian from the Seattle Public Library West Seattle Branch, will be at Holy Rosary on Wednesday, May 24 to introduce the Summer Reading Program sponsored by the Seattle Pubic Library.
- Second: A BOGO (Buy One – Get One FREE) will return to Holy Rosary for a few days at the end of May. The students are thrilled because anytime you can get something for free, it’s magical. It’s a perfect time to stock up with new books and special treats to pull out when you hear “I’m bored!”
- We will set up the Fair on Thursday, May 25 after school. It will be open Friday after Field Day from noon until 1 p.m. During the week of May 29 it will be open during all lunch recesses and after school until 4. If you are available to cashier or help with setup, please email Mrs. Harris.
- Finally, please remember the Summer Reading Challenge. Each student (and parent) will choose to read for 15 minutes each day of summer vacation. Special calendars to log the days will be included in each student’s report card on June 9. All successful participants will be invited to an All You Can Eat Pancake Breakfast.
Please mark your calendars and prepare for a special summer.
Field Day is Friday, May 26. Please have your children turn in their permission slips to their homeroom teachers. Send them with a water bottle on Friday. Class colors: KA – white, KB – denim, 1A/1B – red, white, and blue, 2A/2B – blue, 3A/3B – neon, 4A – blue and green, 4B – blue and black, 5A – black and white, 5B – white, 6A – pink and black, 6B – blue and black, 7A/7B – blue and black, 8A/8B – black.
Thank you to everyone who attended our last Parents Club meeting of the year last Thursday. I would like to congratulate Cindy Wingo who was our Distinguished Service Award recipient. We present this award to a graduating eighth grade parent who has no younger children in the school. It is in grateful appreciation for years of outstanding service and dedication to Holy Rosary School.
Cindy jumped right in kindergarten year as a room parent and took a lead role on the magazine drive shadowing the chairperson. Cindy chaired the drive and continued increasing sales each year for the next four years. Maintaining Holy Rosary’s status as the top selling school in the United States built by her predecessor was a passion. The job at the time was challenging because most of the order processing still needed to be done manually, and there wasn’t a development director supporting fundraising activities on staff. Cindy also found time to be a room parent two more times and stepped up to be on Parents Club while still chairing the drive. Because of a critical principal transition and changes at Holy Rosary, she was asked to extend her term on Parents Club after being president and was co-president for an additional year. After finishing with her major roles for the school, Cindy has continued to be involved in the parish as a Eucharist minister, counting the weekly collections and working in the cash room at Westfest. We can’t thank her enough for her time, energy, talent and treasure that she has contributed to our school over the last nine years! THANK YOU and congratulations!
ANNUAL FUND – If you made a pledge at the beginning of the school year, and you are not making payments, please fulfill that pledge NOW. If you have NOT had an opportunity to make an annual fund donation, I urge you to help us reach 100% participation in the ANNUAL FUND. No amount is too small. When applying for grants, a higher percentage of family participation informs the granting committee that we have exhausted our internal resources and increases our chances of obtaining additional funds from outside sources. Currently we’re at 71% and I know we can do better! Click here to make a donation.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES – Tired of figuring out how you will get those hours in? We have a few chair positions available:
- MAGAZINE CO-CHAIRS (same)This fundraiser nets HRS 60k annually! You will fulfill all your hours in the fall and not have to worry about it the rest of the year. Our past co-chairs are happy to meet and walk you through the steps this spring. Beth is meeting with the magazine company in May, so please reach out to her if interested. This is a great job for two friends and we are looking for a 2-year commitment.
- AUCTION FINANCE CHAIR (new) Track expenses and payments for the auction. You will work closely with the auction software chair to ensure all charges are accurate before sending to the credit card company. Does not require a degree in accounting, but an understanding of numbers is crucial. This position does allow you to attend the auction.
The above positions are crucial to our two largest fundraising events. We NEED people to step-up and fill these positions. Thank you!
ICE CREAM FUNDRAISER AT HUSKY DELI – The weather is finally warming up, which means it’s a great time for ice cream! Stop by Husky Deli to try out their new seasonal flavor, Caramel Apple ice cream. This flavor was invented by the Pedersen and Guthrie families in honor of their family’s apple orchard in Chelan, Washington. From now through the end of the school year, any sales of Carmel Apple will be matched by the Sweeney Orchard to make a donation to the Annual Fund. Enjoy!
SunDance Dance-A-Thon Auction Fundraiser
Hello all! The costumes are hung and the sets are packed away for the season but there is still one more event; this year’s dance auction fundraiser is a SunDance Dance-A-Thon!!!! Join us Friday, May 26 after Field Day from 12-3; a Holy Rosary half-day.
We will feed your kids a pizza lunch and then start DANCING!!! Mrs. Horton has approved a special prize for anyone who can dance the entire 2 1/2 hours! It’s sure to be a fun-filled three hours and a great opportunity to support our school. To register please contact Angel at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be billed through FACTS. Please pass this info along to anyone who loves to DANCE!
If your child requires a gluten free pizza option, please email Miss Angel directly. email@example.com. SEE YOU THERE!
Dawn and Angel
Recess Duty 2017-2018
Double your volunteer hours for next year. Now is the perfect opportunity to sign up for next year’s lunch recess duty. The time is 11:15-1:15 daily. Double volunteer hours are given to those who complete a full two hours on their assigned day. We ask that you choose one specific day per week for the entire year. Email Jennifer Hazzard (firstname.lastname@example.org) that you are interested in doing recess duty for next year and indicate the day of the week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday) in which you are interested. Thank you.
- grade 8 round one baseball playoffs – Walt Hundley field – noon – 6920 34th Ave SW, Seattle
- grade 5/6 round one baseball playoffs – Judkins field – 3 p.m. – 1119 23rd Ave S, Seattle
FALL SOCCER REGISTRATION – Holy Rosary offers exciting soccer programs for grades K-8. Fall soccer registration is now open for players through July 31. Come play with us and register today! Cost is $85 and includes a new uniform and ball. Click here for the sign up.
SOCCER COACHES WANTED – Earn general volunteer hours by coaching a Holy Rosary soccer team. No experience necessary. Click here to sign up.
SUMMER CAMPS – New summer camps have been added! Visit our summer camp page for all the summer camp offerings.
SUMMER SITTING AND NANNYING– Visit our page for summer nannying and sitting services offered by Holy Rosary alumni.
Upcoming Dates To Remember
- 5/12 – talent show
- 5/20 – eighth grade baccalaureate mass and dinner
- 5/26 – field day – noon dismiss
- 5/29 – Memorial Day – no school
- 6/1 – eighth grade graduation
- 6/6 – kindergarten graduation
- 6/7 – new parent orientation/kindergarten round-up
- 6/8 – noon dismiss
- 6/9 – last day of school (dismissal after mass)