Dear Holy Rosary families,
I hope you had a wonderful and relaxing spring break. There is finally a hint of spring in the air, and leaves on the trees outside of my office. So I have great hope the sunshine is soon to follow!
It’s hard to believe, but when you get this we will only have about six weeks left! This year has flown by. The eFC in coming weeks will contain a lot of important end of the year information. Thank you for continuing to read it in detail.
This coming Sunday, our eighth grade students will be hosting a pancake breakfast after the 8:30 and 10:30 masses as a thank you to the Parish and School communities for their support as they near graduation. I hope to see you at Mass this weekend and then over for pancakes afterward!
Have a blessed week.
Welcome New Incoming Families!
We have several new families joining our school in various grades from kindergarten through grade 8. Become an Ambassador Family for the school and share your Holy Rosary knowledge with a new family! This begins in June with an introduction, and counts towards next year’s volunteer hours. Meeting up for ice cream or hosting a playdate during the summer will count towards general volunteer hours. Start early! More details and sign-up information can be found here.
Tomorrow is pizza lunch. Only one more pizza lunch to go before the end of the school year!
SunDance presents: THE GARDEN OF LIFE. Monday, May 1 at 7 p.m. at Highline Performing Arts Center. Tickets can be purchased at any dance class or at the door. Doors open for seating at 6:30.
AUCTION – Don’t forget to apply for MATCHING FUNDS. We can still make our goal of $60,000 for the fire alarm if all those who are eligible apply for their match. No amount is too small and most companies offer the application online. Need help figuring out the process, please contact Beth Martin.
BUYBACKS AND TEACHER BOOKS – Buybacks and teacher books will be coming home within the next week. Those that are due a dress pass for bidding 70% of value should’ve received those earlier this week.
ANNUAL FUND – Now that the auction is in the books, our focus for the remainder of the year will be the ANNUAL FUND. If you made a pledge at the beginning of the school year, and you are not making payments, please fulfill that pledge before the end of April. If you have NOT had an opportunity to make an annual fund donation, I urge you to help us reach 100% participation. No amount is too small. When applying for grants, a higher percentage of participation allows the granting committee know that we have exhausted our resources at the family level. Currently we are at 63% and I know we can do better! Click here to make a donation.
GIVE BIG – Holy Rosary is once again participating in GIVE BIG. The date is set for Wednesday, May 10. Many companies encourage their employees to participate in this Nationwide Day of Giving. Please fulfill your Annual Fund pledge or make a donation to Holy Rosary!
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES – Tired of figuring out how you will get those hours in? We have a few co-chair positions available:
- MAGAZINE CO-CHAIRS – This fundraiser nets HRS 60k annually! You will fulfill all your hours in the fall and not have to worry about it the rest of the year. Our past co-chairs are happy to meet and walk you through the steps this spring. Beth is meeting with the magazine company in May, so please reach out to her if interested. This is a great job for two friends and we are looking for a two-year commitment.
- AUCTION SOFTWARE CO-CHAIRS – Get a behind the scenes look at our largest fundraiser. You can be a member of the team and still attend the auction that night. We are looking for 2 individuals that are tech savvy to assist with the Greater Giving Auction Software. One person would assist procurement and the other would handle reservations and updating the web site. The software is user friendly and the current chair will be available via email for questions.
The above Co-Chair positions are crucial to our two largest fundraising events. We NEED people to step-up and fill these positions. Thank you!
Still looking to fulfill fundraising hours for this year? The chair covers from the auction need to be washed and dried, no ironing needed at this point. There are four large garbage bags full of chair covers, contact Beth Martin if interested.
Field Day Nurse Needed
We are looking for a nurse parent volunteer that can help on Field Day. Field Day will be at Hiawatha Field on May 26 from 8:30 to 11:30. If you are interested and would like to earn volunteer hours please contact Sue Southerland at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
FALL SOCCER REGISTRATION – Holy Rosary offers exciting soccer programs for grades K-8. Fall soccer registration is now open for players through July 31. Come play with us and register today! Cost is $85 and includes a new uniform and ball. Click here for the sign up.
SOCCER COACHES WANTED – Earn general volunteer hours by coaching a Holy Rosary soccer team. No experience necessary. Click here to sign up.
SAVE THE DATES FOR YOUTH EVENTS:
- Fieldtrip and dinner with Sisters of St. Joseph at Providence Mount Saint Vincent’s, Sunday, May 7 from 3:30-6:30 p.m.
- Youth Group Study Hall, Thursday, May 18 from 6:30-8:30 p.m., in the Holy Rosary School Hall.
- Youth Group End-of-Year Youth Ministry Picnic at Alki, Sunday, June 4 from 5-8 p.m., at Alki.
SUMMER CAMPS – Tis the season for summer camps. Visit our summer camp page for the latest information on summer camp offerings.
BLOOD DRIVE – Our school is partnering with the Red Cross to hold our first Blood Drive! Giving blood is giving the gift of life and we want to show that our Holy Rosary community’s spirit of love and generosity goes beyond our immediate Holy Rosary family. The Blood Drive will be open to the West Seattle community but we hope that Holy Rosary will lead the way so please consider donating and helping to sustain lives. Mark you calendar for May 22, anytime from 2-7 p.m.
LOOKING FOR A SUMMER NANNY? My name is Helen Dolejsi and I am graduating from Holy Names Academy in May. I have availability on weekdays/partial weekends from June through September and I would love to work with your family as a summer nanny! I am also a Holy Rosary graduate.
- Five plus years of experience babysitting children ages 10 months – 12 years
- Two years of experience working as a child caregiver in the Holy Rosary Church nursery
- Experience working as a summer nanny for two children ages 2 and 4
- CPR certified, completed Red Cross babysitting training course in 2013
- Call/text me at 206-419-1347 or email at email@example.com
SUMMER BABYSITTER – Looking for a reliable summer babysitter? My name is Noelle Wardian and I am a 15-year-old freshman at Seattle Prep, and graduate of Holy Rosary! I am not driving yet but I live in the Admiral area and can be available for babysitting jobs if you would like to contact me at 206-713-5472. I love art, the outdoors, soccer and swimming. If you would like personal references I can give you the names of a few Holy Rosary families.
HOLY NAMES BABYSITTER SERVICE – Hi Holy Rosary School! My name is Grace Tevaseu and I am an alumnus of Holy Rosary. I currently attend Holy Names Academy and am part of a student-run organization called Bighearted Babysitters. BHB is a babysitter matching service created exclusively for Catholic school families. If you are interested in learning more about our organization, please visit bhbabysitters.com. Do feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. Thanks, Grace Tevaseu – Gtevaseu18@holynames-sea.org
KEEPING YOUR CHILD’S SKILLS SHARP OVER THE SUMMER CAN BE FUN! My name is Katie Hooks and I am a 2013 graduate of Holy Rosary School. I will graduate from Holy Names Academy in May 2017, with honors. I am available this summer to tutor your student in reading, math and/or Spanish. I have worked for the City of Seattle as a reading tutor through the TeamRead program, and have been a peer tutor at Holy Names for the past two years in Spanish. I have taken math and Spanish all four of my high school years, including AP/college level Statistics and Spanish this year. I have transportation and can come to your home. Tutoring rates: $10 per half hour for one student/$15 per half hour for two students. I am also available for babysitting, errand running, taking the kids to swim lessons, etc. References available. Please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-465-6566.
Upcoming Dates To Remember
- 5/12 – talent show
- 5/20 – eighth grade baccalaureate mass and dinner
- 5/25 – field day – noon dismiss
- 5/29 – Memorial Day – no school
- 6/1 – eighth grade graduation
- 6/6 – kindergarten graduation
- 6/7 – new parent orientation/kindergarten round-up
- 6/8 – noon dismiss
- 6/9 – last day of school (dismissal after mass)