Dear Holy Rosary Families,
Soon we will be entering our third week of Lent. While I keep trying to find ways to purposely slow down and reflect during this time, it’s hard! I am sure you have experienced some of the same. To make this a priority, I’ve dedicated a few quiet moments before school and at the end of the day, to pause, reflect, and pray. We’ve been encouraging students to find some extra time each day to pray as well.
Each week, I have provided a resource to you that you might use with your family during Lent. This week, I’d like to share with you the March newsletter from the Archdiocese of Seattle’s Missions Office. If you don’t know, the mission of the Missions Office is “Educating Catholics to the needs of the Church throughout the world and raising funds for evangelization, relief, and development. Representing Catholic Relief Services, Catholic Campaign for Human Development, and the Pontifical Mission Societies.” Their newsletter this month, which can be found here, shares many ways during this time of Lent that we can enter into solidarity with those throughout the world most in need of our support.
We continue to be busy around here! Report cards are coming home on Friday, and our Accreditation site visit is this coming Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. We’re attending mass as a school this Friday morning. Students may wear green because of St. Patrick’s Day, but please make sure it is church appropriate green. We’re also asking students to be in Perfect Uniform Monday-Wednesday next week because of the site visit.
Blessings in Christ,
Morning Drop Off And Afternoon Pick Up Protocol
The purpose of the transportation procedures is to ensure the safety of our children and reduce congestion during the busy drop-off and pick-up times. Thank you for following the drop off and pick up protocol to keep our children safe and the traffic flow moving. Refer to the traffic pattern diagram and description found in your Family Handbook. Some important reminders:
- Adhere to the directions by staff members who are on traffic duty.
- No parking on 42nd Avenue in front of the school during drop-off and pick-up times.
- Use marked crosswalks and follow the directions of the crossing guards – no jaywalking under any circumstances.
- Drivers should never leave their vehicles while in the drop-off or pick-up zones.
- When in the alley, always pull forward into the teacher’s parking lot to prevent traffic back up in the alley. Do not block the two reserved HEART auction parking spots on the left.
- When pulling into and away from the curb, always signal and use extreme caution.
SEEKING NEW COMMISSION MEMBERS – The School Commission is seeking new members for the upcoming 2017/18 school year. School Commission members advise the principal and pastor on policy-related issues that affect our school; you are the voice of Holy Rosary parents.
We are looking for parents with education, accounting, facilities, technology and marketing skills that will expand the commission’s overall capability. Examples of ongoing projects include school budget, enrollment, commitment hours, Catholic identity, fundraising, technology, and the marketing of Holy Rosary School.
The School Commission meets the first Thursday of the month. Each member is typically assigned one to two subcommittees that meet throughout the school year. Commission members serve a 4-year term and hours conducting School Commission business count towards commitment hours.
The School Commission Application can be found here. If you have questions about becoming a member or the application process, contact the recruiting team listed below.
Kevin McMahan (Member at Large) email@example.com
Mike Curran (Vice-President): firstname.lastname@example.org
Brown Bag Fridays For St. Martin De Porres Men’s Shelter
Every year, as part of our Lenten Outreach, Holy Rosary School has provided lunches to the men at St. Martin de Porres shelter. Students are asked to bring a lunch or two and a toiletry item on designated Fridays during Lent. These lunches can be kept cold, so perishable food is fine. If you are interested in driving a few students to deliver the lunches one Friday in Lent, please contact Jennifer Hazzard in the school office.
Please keep the toiletry items separate from the lunches:
- March 17 – Men’s gloves
- March 24 – travel size toothpaste and disposable toothbrush (singles)
- March 31 – men’s socks
- April 7 – disposable razors/shaving cream (sample size)
St. Patrick’s Day Free Dress
Student may wear green tomorrow for St. Patrick’s Day, but attire must be church appropriate. Please no face paint, green hair or blue jeans. Thank you.
The ONLINE AUCTION is open with fabulous items up for bid! Hurry and bid now because it closes on Sunday, March 19th at 8 p.m. — only three days away!
Some of the available online items include:
- Great Wolf Lodge overnight in a family suite
- Husky Deli Ice cream party for the entire grade
- Italian Family Pizza party for 20
- School Related Items: free dress pass, Dennis uniform, Strideline socks
- Watts Basketball two-hour clinic at HRS for 40 kids, sign up individually
- Music lessons
- Restaurants: Canlis, West 5 mac n’ cheese club, El Gaucho
- Menchie’s for a year
- Overnight getaways: Adrift Hotel (Long Beach), The Grove, Hotel Andra
- Services: spa, house cleaning, landscaping
- Sports tickets: Huskies, Cougars, Mariners
- Shop local: variety of items donated by West Seattle businesses
And back by popular demand are the TEACHER BOOKS! A fantastic selection of teacher favorites personally signed for your child.
Finally, don’t miss out on CLASS BUYBACKS! There are some creative projects again this year. Please take a look and thank the room parents and volunteers who organized these projects.
STEPS TO BID
- Follow this link to bid on online auction items.
- Click the Start Bidding button
- Sign in using a previous Holy Rosary online bidding login OR create a new one
- Enter your credit card information
- Start bidding!
All items must be picked up at the school. Shipping is available for most items at winning bidder’s cost. Feel free to forward this link to family and friends. Thank you for supporting Holy Rosary School!
Sweet Charity Dessert Auction
The dessert committee is seeking your donations of a homemade or bakery purchased dessert. Maybe you have a famous family recipe or know someone who does. We are always looking for new, creative desserts! All proceeds from the dessert auction benefit Holy Rosary’s tuition assistance program. You will receive fundraising hours for your efforts (up to four hours)! For questions contact Sarah Mosley (Vincent (3A) and Dominic (1A) Bucci’s mom) by email: email@example.com or phone 206-849-7977.
To sign up to donate one or more desserts to the dessert auction, email your name, phone number and what type of dessert you are thinking of donating, to the above email address. If you need ideas we are happy to make suggestions. We hope to receive all submissions ASAP. Dessert delivery will be from 11:00 – 2:00 the day of the auction at Rainier Golf & Country Club.
TRACK & FIELD is right around the corner! I wanted to let everyone know the days of the meets as well as practices so that you can plan your spring accordingly. Track is for grades 4-8 only, unlike Cross Country which is grades K-8. Bonzi sign up is here. Fee is $40.
Note new practice times! Practices will be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. at Hiawatha track beginning on Tuesday, April 4th.
Attire: Shorts, sweats, t-shirts, sweat pants, and RUNNING shoes made for running 🙂
- Preliminary: Saturday, May 6 at 10:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Relay: Saturday, May 13 at 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- 8th Grade Pentathlon: Sunday, May 14 at 12:30 p.m. (West Seattle Stadium)
- Qualifying: Saturday, May 20 at 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Championship (Individual and Team): Saturday, June 3 at 10:00 a.m.
- Team Party at Lincoln Park on Monday Night at 6 p.m. at Lincoln Park
- Grades 4-8
- Fees – $40 by the first day of practice.
- Pentathlon $6 per athlete – eighth grade only
Head Coach-Shelley Neal. Contact by TEXT ONLY at 206-941-1399. Thank you.
We will start with an Italian dinner in the Parish office basement, followed by fun activities and then adoration in the chapel.
- Selfie Scavenger Hunt
- Escape Room
- Pictionary with a Twist!
At 8:45 p.m. we will have a prayer and blessing for the eighth graders, who will be taking high school placement tests the next day. Eighth graders who have high school tests the next day may leave after the prayer and blessing at 9 p.m.There is no charge, but a suggested $10 donation to cover food and refreshments. Click here to register your youth. Questions? Please contact the Holy Rosary Youth Ministry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES AT OUR FIRST COMMUNION FAMILY LEARNING CLASSES – We are looking for volunteers for our First Communion Family Learning Classes for those children receiving the First Communion this year. Volunteers get to work at one of our activity stations. It is super easy and fun. Please click here to sign up. We appreciate your help!
WEST SEATTLE MUSIC STUDIO – Liz Kelly of West Seattle Music Studio has been teaching adult and children piano, guitar, and voice instruction for over 20 years. Click for here more information on her music program. There are flyers available in the office, as well.
PARENTS NIGHT OUT – West Seattle High School Junior Class ASB is hosting a Parent’s Night Out.
- When: Friday, March 24, 5:30 – 10 p.m.
- Who: Kids ages 3 (must be potty trained) – 11years old.
- Where: Check in at the WSHS foyer at West Seattle High School – 3000 California Ave SW.
- Cost: $25 per child OR $20 with two canned goods which will be donated to the West Seattle Food Bank. Cost includes: Pizza, Games, Crafts, and Movie! Sitters are CPR trained. RSVP to email@example.com
What is Parents Night Out? PNO is a child sitting service where WSHS Junior Class ASB will watch your kids, provide food, fun and activities so the parents can enjoy a night out too! Please tell your friends and THANK YOU for your support!
EASTER EGG HUNT AT KENNEDY CATHOLIC – All are invited to a community Easter egg hunt on Friday, April 7 at 3:00. Bring your basket and come for snacks, face painting and a visit from the Easter Bunny. For more information, contact Rebecca Nuffer at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 206-957-9636.
WATTS BASKETBALL CAMP – We are excited to announce we will be holding a Spring Break Camp April 17-21 for grades 3-8 at the Salvation Army White Center location. A promo code has been set up for Holy Rosary families. ‘HR15’ will allow you to get 15% off Camp registration! Sign up for spring break camp here. The promo code will only be valid until Monday, March 13, so please take advantage of your discount while it lasts! Prices will be increasing soon due to late registration period, so don’t wait to register!
MS. REUTERS SUMMER ART CAMPS – Ms. Reuter is gearing up to host two spectacular summer art camps next door at Seattle Lutheran. Summer Art Camp #1 will take place from 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. each day on June 12th-15th. Summer Art Camp #2 will be held from 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. each day on June 19th-22nd. Each camp will include the following projects: rainbow cookie dough sculpture, 3D plaster birds, mini garden landscapes, inventors’ lab, TP monster apparel design, polymer clay figurines, canvas painting, and UFO crop circles. Cost per camp session is $210. Eligibility: Students who have completed first grade are eligible for this camp. To reserve a spot for your child, please email email@example.com. Note: This camp is not a Holy Rosary School program.
Upcoming Dates To Remember
- 3/31 – noon dismissal – Auction setup
- 4/1 – HEART Auction
- 4/14 – noon dismissal – Good Friday
- 4/17-21 – Easter break
- 5/12 – talent show
- 5/20 – eighth grade baccalaureate Mass and dinner
- 5/26 – noon dismissal – Field Day
- 5/29 – no school – Memorial Day
- 6/1 – eighth grade graduation
- 6/6 – kindergarten graduation
- 6/7 – new parent orientation/kindergarten round-up
- 6/8 – noon dismissal
- 6/9 – last day of school – dismissal after 8:30 Mass