It’s the last eFC of the year!
This year’s theme was “Come to the Table.” As I reflect on the many ways we’ve all Come to the Table this year, I hope you’ve found it to be a year of growth and a year of joy. I am so proud of the many ways our students Came to the Table through their prayer, service, and hard work. I’ve seen such growth in all of our students, and it’s been my true honor and privilege to lead this community this year.
I truly hope your family has a safe, fun, and faith-filled summer. I’ll be working through June, and then back in August- so please don’t hesitate to reach out if you need anything! And please join us for the West Seattle Grand Parade on July 21st- Holy Rosary will again have a float in the parade.
May the peace of Christ be with you all this summer and always!
Congratulations Eighth Graders!
We celebrated the graduation of our 2018 eighth graders this past Thursday and wish them well on their next steps in high school. Off to high school we send:
- 14 students to Kennedy Catholic High School
- 13 students to Bishop Blanchet High School
- 8 students to O’Dea High School
- 7 students to Holy Names Academy
- 5 students to Seattle Preparatory School
- 1 student to King’s High School
- 1 student to West Seattle High School
- 1 student to Roosevelt High School
May God bless each of them!
Honor Roll Students
High Honors (A’s, A+’s)
Grade 8: Peyton B., Jack K., Jacqueline C., Ryan C., Lili G., Michael N., Ava P., Molly M., Ainsley P., Dylan S., Kate S., Riley W. Jayce W. Grade 7: Gabby B., Jeffrey G., A.J. G., Julia K., Sophia K., Mackenzie M., Eleanor N., Ella R., Ella S., Hanna U.
As the school year draws to a close, as we look forward to summer adventures near and far, don’t forget that following Jesus is something that never ends. If you are traveling, Mass Times is a great site to help find local Masses. It is one of the beautiful things about being Catholic – there are over 225,000 Catholic parishes around the world! It helps remind us of how universal the Church is as we celebrate the same Holy Mass with individuals in a different town or country, even if we don’t know the language. It’s especially wonderful to explore the stories of local saints and the Church throughout the centuries. And as you make these mini pilgrimages, be sure and look about to see the hand of God at work in His beautiful Creation. Wherever you go, whether to Lincoln Park or some far away land, always go with Jesus – and the trip will be that much sweeter.
Have a blessed summer!
NOTES & REMINDERS
Early Dismissals Today And Tomorrow
Today is a noon dismissal and tomorrow we dismiss at 10 a.m. Wear Sunday best to Mass.
Avoid The Summer Slide!
SUMMER MATH – Summer is almost here! We know that summer is a time to relax and recharge, but we hope the students find some time to do some math, too! 🙂 The students can print and fill out this calendar throughout the summer. Students also received this calendar from their teachers. At the end of the summer, the students will make sure they have their full name, grade, totaled hours (15 or more), and parent signature into either the office or Mrs. Heuer. These students will get an ice cream party during the school day in the fall. Last year we had 75 participants and we hope to have even more this year!
SUMMER READING – See the attached calendar to keep track of your summer reading! Read all summer and not only keep your reading skills short, but get pancakes in the fall!
Please remember to notify the office of any address, phone or email changes in order to have the most up-to-date information in our school directory for next year. Thank you!
- June 14 – Noon dismissal (BASE open)
- June 15 – Last day of school. School dismisses 10. (BASE open)
SCHOOL ACTION ITEMS
Please see the uniform update below. The new red perfect uniform option can be ordered by June 25, or the next order date on October 30.
- New perfect uniform option for grades K-7. Cadet-collared full-zip sweatshirt. An example of the sweatshirt is displayed in the main office. Order here by June 25. The next order dates will be October 30 and February 28.
- Also new for 2018/19, solid color navy and black leggings sold by Land’s End have been added to the uniform code, these are for wear under skirts or jumpers. In addition, through Land’s End is a new polo material option ‘Rapid Dry Active Polo’, also displayed in the school office. Please log onto Land’s End and select Holy Rosary School (SEATTLE) to view these options.
- Land’s End red sweatshirts with our school logo are still available for purchase. Please note the old school logo (roof with two children underneath) will not be allowed for wear next year.
Safe Environment Training
Safe Environment Foundation Course: Protecting God’s Children has been scheduled for two sessions: Wednesday, September 5 at 6 p.m. in the School Hall and Wednesday, September 12 at 6 p.m. in the School Hall. Register on the VIRTUS website here.
Holy Rosary School Parade – July 21
The Holy Rosary School parade float rides again! Kindergarten through grade 8 participating students earn two free dress passes. Parents who walk in the parade or help with float set-up earn fundraising hours towards the 2018-2019 school year. Details can be found on the sign-up page.
Float Volunteer Request
Looking for five more parent volunteers for the parade float design committee. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Counts towards fundraising hours!
Medications in Office
Please pick up your children’s prescription and over-the-counter medication by the last day of school. Meds cannot be sent home with children; parents must pick items up from the office. Thank you.
Update On Parent Volunteer Hours Reported
Good news – volunteer hours completed in June 2018 can be reported towards this calendar school year (2017/18). Going forward, the calendar for volunteer hours will start the first day of summer vacation (June 16, 2018) through the last day of school (June 14, 2019). Parents please remember to report volunteer hours online by the last day of school, June 15, to avoid FACTS charges ($50/per unfulfilled hour).
The front office is looking for milk volunteers to help distribute milk during lunchtime. It is roughly an hour and a half time commitment during all four lunch shifts from 11:15-12:45. If you are interested in helping, please contact Jennifer Hazzardin the front office. Thank you.
Room Parent Recruitment
Be a room parent for the 2018-2019 school year! If you enjoy planning and attending classroom parties, parent’s nights out, and spoiling the teachers with birthday gifts, then this job is for you! Room parents fill such an important role in each class and help take a little weight off our teacher’s shoulders. This time spent also goes towards your family commitment hours. If you are interested in being a room parent during the 2018-2019 school year or would like more information on room parent responsibilities, please contact Joellyn DeRonghe at email@example.com. Thank you!
EVENTS & FUNDRAISING
Holy Rosary Scrip
Met Market and Thriftway cards available in the main office through June 25. Please bring cash or check. Increments available $25, $50 & $100. Additional information on scrip may be found here.
Get ready for Holy Rosary soccer this fall! Register here today.
Holy Rosary School Parade
The Holy Rosary School parade float rides again on July 21! Kindergarten through eighth grade student participants will earn two free dress passes, and parents walking in the parade or helping with float set up earn fundraising hours towards the 2018-2019 school year. Details can be found on the signup page.
Kennedy Catholic High School – Elementary summer band camp is July 9-13 this year!! Time: 12:15-2 p.m. Tuition: $25. Discount for siblings available! One year band experience required. Held in the music room of Kennedy Catholic High School. Online registration here only. Miss McKamey wants to see YOU there!!
Coffee & Donuts After All 8:30 And 10:30 Masses This Summer
Stop by for Coffee & Donuts all summer after 8:30 and 10:30 Masses. We will finish up June in the School Hall and move to the Parish Center for July and August to enjoy the outdoor patio and grassy area. C&D is great way to catch up with old friends and meet new whether you stop by for five minutes or stay longer. Did you know we have gluten-free options? Just ask at the kitchen window!
Volunteering Opportunities This Summer
Coffee & Donuts is also a fun way for adults and high schoolers to volunteer. Shifts are from 8:15-10:30 or 10:30-12:45, including set-up and cleanup time. You can work the first or second shift or both. It is easy to attend Mass and help at C&D shift. School parents can use C&D for general service hours. Everything you need is provided, including the donuts, and a “lead” volunteer will guide you through the processes of set up, clean up, and hospitality. Click here to signup for volunteering. See you this summer!
Children’s Ministries Corner
We welcome your child to a Life with Christ!
- Baptism – Interested in your child (birth up to age 7) becoming Catholic, please contact Deyette at 206-937-1488, ext. 251 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- RCIA – For those children 7 years and older who are interested in becoming Catholic, please contact Sr. Stella at 206-937-1488, ext. 251 or email@example.com.
- First Reconciliation and First Communion – Registration will be open for First Reconciliation and First Communion by the end of May on the Parish website. Children who have been baptized Catholic and will be in grade 2 or older next year are welcome register. For those children who are not Baptized and are interested in becoming Catholic, please contact Sr. Stella at 206-937-1488, ext. 251 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Children’s Liturgy of the Word (CLOW) – Your child (preschool through grade 4) is welcome to join CLOW at 10:30 a.m. Mass to learn about the readings of the day. Children start Mass with you and are dismissed after opening prayer and return before Celebrating Communion. Free and no registration required.
- Sunday nursery OPEN over the summer – Holy Rosary Church offers free childcare (age 1 and walking up to age 5) on Sunday morning during 8:30 and 10:30 Masses in our Parish Center basement preschool space. Please go to the door facing Genesee St. and ring the doorbell. For questions, please contact Deyette at 206-937-1488, ext. 251.
Opportunities For Adults!
Join us as we grow together in our faith!
- Adult Catechists Wanted! We are seeking volunteer catechists to help with our RCIA, Inquiry, Bible Study, and Confirmation programs. This is an opportunity to lead prayer and meditation activities, to welcome and connect with others as they grow in faith, and to bear witness to the ways Jesus Christ has touched your life! Safe Environment Certification, including background check, will be required. If you are interested, please contact Robert King.
- Monday Rosary – Join us every Monday evening to pray the Rosary in the Chapel from 7 to 7:30. For more information, contact Deyette Swegle.
- Walking with Purpose – Our book discussion on Heaven Starts Now, by Father Ricardo, meets on Wednesday evenings at 7:15 in the Parish Center. Our next meeting is Wednesday, June 20. For questions email Deyette at email@example.com.
- CYO Adult Softball – Our next game in the CYO adult softball league will be Tuesday, June 19 at 7:30 p.m. at St. Monica’s. There’s still time to join the roster, or just to come cheer your fellow parishioners! Contact David at firstname.lastname@example.org to register. All skill levels welcome!
- Young Adult Day Hike – We’re planning a day-hike on either June 30 or July 7. If you’d like to join the fun, contact David or Robert at email@example.com!
- Interested in Bible Study? We’re wrapping up our Saturday morning Bible Study for the summer, but are already planning for the fall! Suggestions are: Acts of the Apostles, Psalms, or the Gospel of John. If you’re interested, have any suggestions or questions, please contact Robert King!
If you would like more information, or if you have any suggestions to make, please contact Robert King (206-937-1488 x203 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
Sacrament Of Confirmation
Next year, Holy Rosary Parish will offer preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation to all high school students. If you have a child who will be in grades 9-12 and who has not yet received Confirmation – or if you have not been Confirmed yourself – please visit this link for more information and early registration.
Summer camps are listed on our summer camp page here. It’s updated as needed. Holy Rosary will be offering our own summer camps too. Stay tuned!
Dale Carnegie Seminars
Parent Sarah Mackay is offering leadership classes for 13-18 year olds. Please click here for more details and to sign up for the course.
West Seattle Drums
West Seattle Drums offers private lessons on drum set and snare drum. Call Mike Grueter at 206-938-3563 for lessons or visit our website for more information. Special offer for Holy Rosary students – get one introductory lesson for free! Click here for more information.