Dear Holy Rosary Families,
We had a lovely May crowning Mass Wednesday morning followed by a moving tribute to Mary as our eighth graders danced and sung in her honor. It is such a privilege to see students grow over the years and it’s hard to believe we will be graduating our eighth graders in a few short weeks! Please keep them all in your prayers.
I wanted to share with you an important event coming to the Seattle area this July- Special Olympics! This will be an incredible opportunity to support athletes in our own community! More information can be found here.
The Archdiocese of Seattle is taking on many important volunteer roles supporting the games- if you are interested in learning more or volunteering, information can be found here: (under featured events). It notes the deadline for volunteers is April 15, but I know they are still looking for people to assist! Thank you for considering it!
A MESSAGE FROM FR. OAKLAND
It will be the traditional feast of Corpus Christ, the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. Formerly instituted 700+ years ago, this feast celebrates the presence of God in our midst in the Most Holy Eucharist. Over the years, one of the traditions that emerged was annual processions. The priest would carry the Blessed Sacrament in a monstrance, and would process from the Church into the streets accompanied by the people. A baldachino – a veil – was carried over his head, a symbol of the presence of the Holy. It is a great act of witness to our faith to our neighbors. It is a celebration of God’s presence in our midst. It is an invocation of His blessings upon our lives and our community. It is a reminder that as we receive Jesus in the Holy Eucharist at Mass, we are called to carry Him with us as we go – and be Christ to others.
So after Mass on Thursday, May 31, the Altar Servers will lead us out the side door of the Church. I will follow, with a baldachino carried above. And then all the school children and all others present. As we go around the block, we will sing hymns of praise to God. We will return to the grassy beside the church where an altar will be set up, and will have Benediction, or the formal blessing. If you are interested in assisting with the procession, please contact Robert King at email@example.com.
NOTES & REMINDERS
Field Day Nurse Needed
A nurse is needed on Friday, May 25 from 8:45-11:30 for field day at Hiawatha playfield. It’ll be the most fun you will ever have earning your volunteer hours! Contact Sue Southerland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parent’s Club Distinguished Service Award
Last night at the Parents Club meeting, Gloria Teves and Ann Conway received the Distinguished Service Award for their years of outstanding service and dedication to Holy Rosary School. Congratulations Gloria and Ann!
- May 15 – Eighth grade pictures
- May 18 – Talent Show – all day
- May 17 – Grade 4 charity bake sale
- May 25 – Field Day – noon dismiss
- June 2 – Baccalaureate Mass and Dinner
- June 7 – Eighth grade graduation
- June 12 – Kindergarten graduation
- June 13 – New parent orientation and kindergarten round-up – 9 a.m.
SCHOOL ACTION ITEMS
Scholastic Book Fair
The BOGO Book Fair returns at the end of May. It is a highlight for students and parents alike. When you buy one item you get the second item free. Unfortunately, you must pay for the most expensive item in each pair. There are sad faces when a student wants to purchase a 50-cent pencil and expect the $20 book to be the free item. Additional BOGO information will be coming soon as well as a SignUpGenius for volunteers to help at the book fair.
Recess Duty Sign Up
Sign up here to volunteer for fall 2018-19 recess duty..
Ambassador Families Are Needed
We need ambassador families in all grades! Start accumulating volunteer hours for 2018/19 this summer – help welcome new families into our school community. Click here to sign up.
EVENTS & FUNDRAISING
Don’t forget to APPLY FOR MATCHING FUNDS. No amount is too small and most companies offer the application online. If you need help figuring out the process, please contact Beth Martin.
Now that the auction is in the books, our focus for the remainder of the year will be the ANNUAL FUND. If you made a pledge at the beginning of the school year, and you are not making payments, please fulfill that pledge before the end of May. If you have NOT had an opportunity to make an annual fund donation, I urge you to help us reach 100% participation. No amount is too small. When applying for grants, a higher percentage of participation informs the granting committee that we have exhausted our resources at the family level.We are a very generous group and currently 63% have participated, but I know we can do better! Click here to make a donation.
A great way to fulfill or make a pledge is by participating in GIVE BIG. Holy Rosary is once again participating in the GIVE BIG campaign. The date is set for Wednesday, May 9. Many companies encourage their employees to participate in this Nationwide Day of Giving. Please fulfill your Annual Fund pledge or make a donation to Holy Rosary!
Tired of figuring out how you will get those hours in? We are looking for auction chairs. You will fulfill all your hours. Our past chairs are happy to meet and train you. If you have an interest in decorations, logistics or procurement please contact Beth Martin.
The planned Holy Rosary Lego Robotics meeting for tonight – May 3 – has been CANCELLED. We will be planning on picking up on this exciting topic when we return from the summer break. Look for more information as your student returns for fall. If you have any questions or comments please contact Chris Paulus at email@example.com.
Concert time!! Here’s the band checklist for grades 5-8:
- May 16, 7 p.m. – Band Festival at Kennedy Catholic High School gym. Required, graded performance. ALL permission slips should now be in.
- May 18 – Holy Rosary Talent Show – required graded performance
- 2018 Honor Band members have their concert schedule information.
- Kennedy Catholic High School – Elementary summer band camp is July 9-13 this year!! Time: 12:15-2 p.m. Tuition: $25. Discount for siblings available! One year band experience required. Held in the music room of Kennedy Catholic High School. Online registration here only. Miss McKamey wants to see YOU there!!
Children’s Ministries Corner
We welcome your child to a Life with Christ!
- Baptism – Interested in your child (birth up to age 7) becoming Catholic, please contact Deyette at 206-937-1488, ext. 251 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- RCIA – For those children 7 years and older who are interested in becoming Catholic, please contact Sr. Stella at 206-937-1488, ext. 251 or email@example.com.
- First Reconciliation and First Communion – Registration will be open for First Reconciliation and First Communion by the end of May on the Parish website. Children who have been baptized Catholic and will be in grade 2 or older next year are welcome register. For those children who are not Baptized and are interested in becoming Catholic, please contact Sr. Stella at 206-937-1488, ext. 251 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Children’s Liturgy of the Word (CLOW) – Your child (preschool through grade 4) is welcome to join CLOW at 10:30 a.m. Mass to learn about the readings of the day. Children start Mass with you and are dismissed after opening prayer and return before Celebrating Communion. Free and no registration required.
- Sunday Nursery – Holy Rosary Church offers free childcare (age 1 and walking up to age 5) on Sunday morning during 8:30 and 10:30 Masses in our Parish Center basement preschool space. Please go to the door facing Genesee St. and ring the doorbell. For questions, please contact Deyette at 206-937-1488, ext. 251.
- May Crowning Day Sunday, May 6, 9:30 a.m. – You are invited to join our Faith Formation families for our May Crowning at 9:30 a.m. in the Parish Center Chapel to honor our Blessed Virgin Mary. Please wear blue and bring a flower.
Opportunities To Grow In The Catholic Faith!
Join us as we grow together in our faith!
- Curious about Catholicism? We have ongoing programs for adults from any background who want to learn more about the Catholic faith. Contact Robert King for more info.
- Unlock the Mystery of the Bible! Join us for an eight-week overview of the entire Bible on Saturday mornings at 9:30 in the Parish Center! Great for beginners or for review! Our next meeting will be Saturday, May 5.
- Monday Rosary – Join us every Monday evening to pray the Rosary in the Chapel from 7 to 7:30. For more information, contact Deyette Swegle.
- Jesus: A Pilgrimage – Come follow in the footsteps of Jesus with James Martin, SJ’s book on discovering Jesus in the Holy Land. We meet Wednesday mornings at 9:30 in the Parish Center! Our next meeting will be Wednesday, May 9.
- Walking with Purpose – Due to popular demand, WWP is hosting a book discussion for women on My Sisters the Saints by Colleen Campbell, not only Wednesday evenings at 7:15, but also Friday mornings at 9:15 (May 4-June 8) in the Parish Center reception room. If you can’t attend all sessions, drop in as your schedule allows. For questions or if you need childcare, email Deyette at email@example.com
- Walking with Purpose – Save the date for our next book discussion, Heaven Starts Now by Father Ricardo on Wednesday evenings at 7:15, June 6-July 25. For questions email Deyette at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunday School for Grown-ups meets on the first and third Sundays of each month in the School Room 7A. This weekend’s topic is “Catholic Prayer 101”. Join us for some tips on boosting your prayer life!
If you would like more information, or if you have any suggestions to make, please contact Robert King (206-937-1488 x203 or email@example.com)
Summer camps are listed on our summer camp page here. It’s updated as needed. Holy Rosary will be offering our own summer camps too. Stay tuned!
West Seattle Drums
West Seattle Drums offers private lessons on drum set and snare drum. Call Mike Grueter at 206-938-3563 for lessons or visit our website for more information. Special offer for Holy Rosary students – get one introductory lesson for free! Click here for more information.
Katie Hooks Tutoring
My name is Katie Hooks and I am a 2013 graduate of Holy Rosary School. I graduated from Holy Names in 2017 and have just finished my freshman year in the Honors Program at Loyola University Chicago. I am available this summer to tutor your student in Spanish, reading, math and/or study skills. I have transportation and can come to your home.
I tutored Holy Rosary students last summer, worked for the City of Seattle as a reading tutor through the TeamRead program, served as a peer tutor in Spanish at Holy Names for two years, and I tutor Spanish-speaking third graders in Chicago in reading and math.
Rates are $20 per hour for one student and $30 per hour for two students.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-465-6566.
- Velvet LaFazia, Holy Rosary parent and 2017 tutoring client, email@example.com
- Matt Secrest, Holy Rosary School, 206-937-7255, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jennifer M. Hawes ’98, Holy Names Academy, Academic Mentor/School Counselor, 206-720-7814, email@example.com
Hi, I’m Eliot Evans, son of Holy Rosary preschool teacher Tauna Evans. I played varsity tennis at Seattle Prep before moving on to the University of Notre Dame where I play tennis for my hall. I have played tennis most of my life, training at Amy Yee Tennis Center and Seattle Tennis Club. I have coached private tennis lessons the past few years and will be back for the summer between May 15 and August 15. I am happy to coach any age. I charge $30 per hour. Please contact me if you are interested! 206-470-9711 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.