By time you read this, it will be nearly June! How can that be!
We’ll be celebrating the Baccalaureate Mass with our eighth graders this Saturday at 5 p.m. (all are welcome at the Mass) and then they will be heading off to graduation shortly thereafter! I am so proud of the incredible students they are, and know they will go off to their high schools ready to work hard in their new adventures! Please join me in celebrating their successes and wishing them well!
We’re getting ready to have the Tiny House our grades 7 and 8 woodshop students built picked up by the Low Income Housing Institute. This should happen in the next week or so. If you haven’t had a chance to see it, take a peek out on the playground. Under the direction of teacher Mike Ritscher, a group of our junior high students built a Tiny House as a chance to put their faith into action and do something tangible to help with the ongoing homeless needs in our community.
We had a wonderful “graduation ceremony” for Mrs. Harris Wednesday morning- I don’t think there was a dry eye in the house! It was an incredible way to celebrate with our students the many contributions of a tremendously dedicated educator.
Have a wonderful rest of the week!!
NOTES & REMINDERS
The 2017-18 yearbooks have arrived! Eighth grade receives the books today, grade 7 on Monday, and grades preschool through 6 next Thursday, June 7. Extras will go on sale Friday, June 8. Look for updates in the eFC or email blasts. Thank you.
Lunches of Love
The Lunches of Love pantry needs replenishment to last throughout the summer. If you are able to contribute, there will be a box in the main office until the end of the school year. Please remember, all items should be non-perishable. Thank you!
Please remember to notify the office of any address, phone or email changes in order to have the most up-to-date information in our school directory for next year. Thank you!
Sue Harris Appreciation Day
Holy Rosary School celebrated Sue Harris yesterday, who is retiring after 27 years of service at Holy Rosary! Congratulations Mrs. Harris, we will miss you!
- May 31 – BOGO Book Fair – today is the last day, ends at 3:30
- June 2 – Baccalaureate Mass and Dinner
- June 7 – Eighth grade graduation
- June 12 – Kindergarten graduation
- June 13 – New parent orientation and kindergarten round-up – 9 a.m.
- June 14 – Noon dismissal (BASE Open)
- June 15 – Last day of school. School dismisses after Mass. (BASE Open)
SCHOOL ACTION ITEMS
Toys? Puzzles? Games? If you’re cleaning out your closets this summer, please keep the preschool in mind. We are always looking to update our materials. Our students range in ages from 2-5, and we love toys, games, and puzzles. We are also hoping to update our playground equipment, so if you have a structure or playhouse that your children are no longer using, please consider us. Thank you!
The front office is looking for milk volunteers to help distribute milk during lunchtime. It is roughly an hour and a half time commitment during all four lunch shifts from 11:15-12:45. If you are interested in helping, please contact Jennifer Hazzardin the front office. Thank you.
Ambassador Families Are Needed
We need ambassador families in all grades! Start accumulating volunteer hours for 2018/19 this summer – help welcome new families into our school community. Click here to sign up.
Room Parent Recruitment
Be a room parent for the 2018-2019 school year! If you enjoy planning and attending classroom parties, parent’s nights out, and spoiling the teachers with birthday gifts, then this job is for you! Room parents fill such an important role in each class and help take a little weight off our teacher’s shoulders. This time spent also goes towards your family commitment hours. If you are interested in being a room parent during the 2018-2019 school year or would like more information on room parent responsibilities, please contact Joellyn DeRonghe at email@example.com. Thank you!
EVENTS & FUNDRAISING
Heart Auction Quilt
Old uniforms — don’t throw them away! I’m making a quilt for next year’s HEART Auction and need your old t-shirts, sports uniforms, sweatshirts, and even unusable school uniforms — anything with an emblem, gator, logo, or the words “Holy Rosary” are welcome. I’ll be cutting them up and transforming them into a cozy quilt top. I’m hoping for some gray eighth grade sweatshirts, black and navy sports sweatshirts and tees, as well as anything else you can dig up! Drop them off in the office marked “Mrs. Davis.” I’m in the library every Thursday through June 14. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org (that’s J P S dot net, like John Paul Sam.) Thank you, Denise Davis, Substitute Teacher, Former HRS Mom, and Alumna.
Holy Rosary Scrip!
Plan your summer BBQs by purchasing Metropolitan Market and Thriftway gift cards – the school receives proceeds for each card sold! They’re available for sale in the school office and it’s so easy!
- Purchase Met Market & Thriftway gift cards from Holy Rosary School or online (see below).
- Pick up gift cards in the school office, or during summer vacation, after the 10:30 Mass.
- Use the gift card at Metropolitan Market or Thriftway and Holy Rosary gets a rebate!
Now that PCC is temporarily closed, what a great time to shop at Metro Market and/or Thriftway! Additional details:
Q: How does Scrip work?
A: You already spend a big portion of your monthly budget on groceries and other expenses for your family. By using Scrip to pay for your regular purchases, you can earn funds for our students every time you shop. You pay face value for a gift card to the stores you frequent, and your gift card is worth face value – but our school earns a rebate on every gift card you purchase, benefiting our students. Cards will be available for pick-up in the school office or after the 10:30 Mass during summer vacation. More information can be found on this .pdf.
- Use enrollment code BA545D5F59484 when enrolling.
- Currently we support only PrestoPay for online ordering. Your order payment is transferred securely via ACH electronic debit. You won’t have to drop off any more checks!
- To enroll in PrestoPay, you’ll need your bank account number, routing number, and account holder information. Once submitted, two small deposits will be made within 1-2 days in the account for verification. Log back in and enter those two amounts to receive an approval code to send to your coordinator. PrestoPay will be activated for your account once your coordinator approves you. Further information can be found online here.
- During summer vacation, ordered cards can be picked up following 10:30 Mass in the school hall until 12:30. You will also be able to purchase cards from Metropolitan Market and Thriftway, with cash only.
- Please email questions about our Scrip program to: email@example.com.
ANNUAL FUND – If you made a pledge at the beginning of the school year, and you are not making payments, please fulfill that pledge NOW. If you have NOT had an opportunity to make an annual fund donation, I urge you to help us reach 100% participation in the ANNUAL FUND. No amount is too small. When applying for grants, a higher percentage of family participation informs the granting committee that we have exhausted our internal resources and increases our chances of obtaining additional funds from outside sources.
REIMBURSEMENTS – Please remember to turn in auction receipts for reimbursement by tomorrow! A reimbursement form may be printed here or pick up in the main office.
CYO Track And Field BBQ – June 5 At Lincoln Park
It’s the track and field end of year BBQ to celebrate another great season! Tuesday, June 5 at 6 p.m. at the Lincoln Park shelter near the wading pool.
We are asking for $10 per family to cover the cost of hamburgers, hot dogs, buns, chips, plates, charcoal, and condiments. Please RSVP via email to Deyette at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, June 1 with the number of people attending so we can purchase the correct amount of food. We are also collecting for COACHES GIFTS ($5 or $10 per runner).
PAYMENT: You have three options to pay:
- PayPal at this link.
- Drop off cash in an envelope to the Holy Rosary School Office (please mark your name on the envelope with amount paid).
- Pay Lyn Pederson before or after practice today (May 31).
Get ready for Holy Rosary soccer this fall! Register here today.
Holy Rosary School Parade
The Holy Rosary School parade float rides again on July 21! Kindergarten through eighth grade student participants will earn two free dress passes, and parents walking in the parade or helping with float set up earn fundraising hours towards the 2018-2019 school year. Details can be found on the signup page.
Kennedy Catholic High School – Elementary summer band camp is July 9-13 this year!! Time: 12:15-2 p.m. Tuition: $25. Discount for siblings available! One year band experience required. Held in the music room of Kennedy Catholic High School. Online registration here only. Miss McKamey wants to see YOU there!!
Sacrament Of Confirmation For Youth – Now Available To Grades 9-12
Next year Holy Rosary Parish will offer preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation to all high school students. If you have a child who will be in grades 9-12 next fall and who has not yet received Confirmation, or if you have not been Confirmed yourself, please visit this link for more information and early registration.
Children’s Ministries Corner
We welcome your child to a Life with Christ!
- Baptism – Interested in your child (birth up to age 7) becoming Catholic, please contact Deyette at 206-937-1488, ext. 251 or email@example.com.
- RCIA – For those children 7 years and older who are interested in becoming Catholic, please contact Sr. Stella at 206-937-1488, ext. 251 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- First Reconciliation and First Communion – Registration will be open for First Reconciliation and First Communion by the end of May on the Parish website. Children who have been baptized Catholic and will be in grade 2 or older next year are welcome register. For those children who are not Baptized and are interested in becoming Catholic, please contact Sr. Stella at 206-937-1488, ext. 251 or email@example.com.
- Children’s Liturgy of the Word (CLOW) – Your child (preschool through grade 4) is welcome to join CLOW at 10:30 a.m. Mass to learn about the readings of the day. Children start Mass with you and are dismissed after opening prayer and return before Celebrating Communion. Free and no registration required.
- Sunday Nursery – Holy Rosary Church offers free childcare (age 1 and walking up to age 5) on Sunday morning during 8:30 and 10:30 Masses in our Parish Center basement preschool space. Please go to the door facing Genesee St. and ring the doorbell. For questions, please contact Deyette at 206-937-1488, ext. 251.
Opportunities For Adults!
Join us as we grow together in our faith!
- Curious about Catholicism? We have ongoing programs for adults from any background who want to learn more about the Catholic faith. Contact Robert King for more info.
- Monday Rosary – Join us every Monday evening, June 4, to pray the Rosary in the Chapel from 7 to 7:30. For more information, contact Deyette Swegle.
- Jesus: A Pilgrimage – Come follow in the footsteps of Jesus with James Martin, SJ’s book on discovering Jesus in the Holy Land. We meet Wednesday mornings at 9:30 in the Parish Center! Our next meeting will be Wednesday, June 6.
- Walking with Purpose – Due to popular demand, WWP is hosting a book discussion for women on My Sisters the Saints by Colleen Campbell, not only Wednesday evenings at 7:15, but also Friday mornings at 9:15 through June 8 in the Parish Center reception room. If you can’t attend all sessions, drop in as your schedule allows. For questions or if you need childcare, email Deyette at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Walking with Purpose – Save the date for our next book discussion, Heaven Starts Now by Father Ricardo on Wednesday evenings at 7:15, June 6-July 25. For questions email Deyette at email@example.com.
- Sunday School for Grown-ups will have its last meeting of the spring on June 3. The topic will be: “The Creed: Why We Say It”. Discover the history of the Creed we say every Sunday, and how it still challenges us today!
- CYO Adult Softball – Our first game in the CYO Adult Softball League will be at 7:30 p.m. on June 5 at St. Monica’s. There’s still time to join the roster, or just to come cheer your fellow parishioners! Contact David at firstname.lastname@example.org register. All skill levels welcome!
- Young Adult Day Hike – We’re planning a day-hike on either June 30 or July 7. If you’d like to join the fun, contact David or Robert at email@example.com!
- Interested in Bible Study? We’re wrapping up our Saturday morning Bible Study for the summer, but are already planning for the fall! Suggestions are: Acts of the Apostles, Psalms, or the Gospel of John. If you’re interested, have any suggestions or questions, please contact Robert King!
If you would like more information, or if you have any suggestions to make, please contact Robert King (206-937-1488 x203 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
Annual Catholic Appeal
The Archbishop of Seattle is asking all parishioners to participate in the Annual Catholic Appeal, supporting our CYO summer camps and youth and young adult programs, college campus ministries, Catholic Community Services and their ministry to those in need, the formation of our future priests, and many more ministries throughout the Archdiocese. Everyone’s support is crucial. Please consider the gift of $1 a day, $365 total, or more if you are able. Any money we receive over our goal will go toward replacing the broken parish bus, which is used for our women’s shelter, to transport homebound parishioners to Mass, and field trips for the school and Seniors group. Thank you for your generosity.
Summer camps are listed on our summer camp page here. It’s updated as needed. Holy Rosary will be offering our own summer camps too. Stay tuned!
St. James Cathedral
St. James Cathedral announces its annual summer Choir Camp! This year, we have simultaneous programs for singers (girls and boys) entering grades 1-2 in the fall (Junior “Scholettes”) and those entering grades 3-8 (Schola Cantorum). The camp will run from August 6 through 12, and the theme this year is “Gaudete et Exultate! Rejoice & Be Glad.” If you would like to receive information please email email@example.com or call 206-382-4874.
The Northwest Boychoir is holding auditions for boys who love to sing, on Saturday, June 2, or at a time convenient for you. Classes for new members begin in September. Boys who are currently in grades k-3 are invited to sign up to audition and no previous music training is needed. The Northwest Boychoir offers the perfect blend of music training and serious fun. For more than 40 years, the Northwest Boychoir has trained young singers to be fully skilled musicians and perform in professional settings with confidence. Auditions and rehearsals take place at the University Heights Center in Seattle. The Northwest Boychoir is proud to be an inclusive and equitable organization and is firmly committed to assisting families with financial aid. To schedule an audition appointment or for more information, call 206-524-3234 or visit the website here. Click here for the Northwest Boychoir flyer.
Vocalpoint! Seattle Girls Prep Choir
Seattle Girls Prep is holding auditions for female vocalists who will be in grades 7 or 8 in the fall. Girls Prep is a training program for Vocalpoint! Seattle, designed specifically for highly motivated middle school-age girls with strong music talent and aptitude. Successful graduates of Girls Prep move into Vocalpoint! Seattle, an ensemble of high-school-age students with an emphasis on performance of popular music. Auditions and rehearsals take place at the University Heights Center in Seattle. Vocalpoint! Seattle is the affiliate of the prestigious Northwest Boychoir, and is proud to be an inclusive and equitable organization, which is firmly committed to assisting families with financial aid. To schedule an audition appointment or for more information, call 206-524-3234 or visit the website here. Click here for the Seattle Girls Prep Vocalpoint! flyer.
West Seattle Drums
West Seattle Drums offers private lessons on drum set and snare drum. Call Mike Grueter at 206-938-3563 for lessons or visit our website for more information. Special offer for Holy Rosary students – get one introductory lesson for free! Click here for more information.