Dear Holy Rosary Families,
Mrs. Whetham led our staff in morning prayer this week, as part of our weekly Lenten prayer gatherings. During this time, she reflected with us on how we can use Lent as a time to grow in love and make small changes in our hearts that bring ourselves closer to God on our journey towards Heaven.
She spoke about our world and that we live in a time of headlines. And sometimes it seems like the headlines try to “out do” one another, so as to see who can garner the most attention from others. Mrs. Whetham challenged us to think about what our personal headlines should be- and that our headlines, those outward messages that garner attention, might be broadcast to others by the way we live our lives.
Lent is not a time about grand gestures or dramatic changes to garner attention, but that rather it’s a time for us to make small changes in our hearts that bring ourselves closer to God. And if done in earnest, the way we live our lives as disciples of Christ will become the “headline” for others to see.
I know this is a message I’m carrying with me for the next few weeks and a Lenten message close to my heart.
May the peace of Christ be with you,
Contact your Legislator- we could use your help!
There is an important bill in the state legislature right now, regarding notification of both public and private schools during an emergency in the larger community. Please read this important message from the Washington State Catholic Conference and if you feel inspired, contact your legislator.
School Safety (SB 6410) – This bill requires first responders to notify all schools (public or private) in the vicinity whenever an evacuation or lockdown is ordered at a nearby school. After unanimously passing the full Senate, the House Education Committee failed to vote on it prior to the February 23 cutoff. While this is a significant setback, WSCC is continuing efforts to have this important safety language that is critical for Catholic schools approved before the end of the session. Please contact your state representatives and urge them to support this important school safety measure – call the Legislative Hotline at 1-800-562-6000.
NOTES & REMINDERS
Bingo Blast With The Teachers!
Save Friday, April 13 from 6-8 p.m. on your calendar for the Bingo Blast with the teachers! More information and registration coming soon!
Thank you to the Tucci-Ringstad family for providing all the delicious food for the crab feed. Thank you also to all the hard working volunteers to help make the event a great success!
Lenten Brown Bag Lunch
Tomorrow bring a brown bag lunch for St. Martin de Porres and men’s gloves. More details below in Lenten Outreach.
The office is looking for a volunteer to help distribute milk during lunch times every Monday. The time commitment is approximately an hour and a half.
Save the Date for the Father/Daughter Glow Bowl On April 27
Father/Daughter Glow Bowl on Friday, April 27 at West Seattle Bowl! All fathers and daughters welcome! Registration coming soon.
Holy Rosary School Play
Bring your whole family on the evenings of March 7 and 8 to enjoy Holy Rosary Drama Department’s debut of Porridgegate! This play is full of mystery, intrigue, humor and whimsical entertainment!
When: Wednesday, March 7 and Thursday, March 8 at 7 p.m.
Where: Holy Rosary School – School Hall
Cost: Donations warmly accepted at the door
Delicious treats and refreshments will be available from our concession stand!
- March 7 – School play 7 p.m.
- March 8 – School play 7 p.m.
- March 16 – Deanery Curriculum Day – no school – BASE open
- March 30 – Good Friday – noon dismiss – BASE open
- April 2-6 – Easter break – BASE open
SCHOOL ACTION ITEMS
During Lent, our students will be participating in a variety of service outreach and prayer opportunities. The details for our annual Lenten Brown Bag lunch program with St. Martin de Porres can be found below. Please watch your child’s classroom newsletter and website for details about our upcoming Holy Thursday Service Outreach. The six weeks of Lent give us ample time and opportunity for service outreach. Pick and choose the activities that work for your family.
Every year, as part of our Lenten Outreach, Holy Rosary School has provided lunches to the men at St. Martin de Porres shelter. Students are asked to bring a lunch or two and a toiletry item on designated Fridays during Lent. These lunches can be kept cold, so perishable food is fine.
Please keep the toiletry items separate from the lunches.
- March 2 – men’s gloves
- March 9 – travel size toothpaste and disposable toothbrush (singles)
- March 16 – no school due to Archdiocesan In-service Day
- March 23 – men’s socks
EVENTS & FUNDRAISING
AUCTION INVITATIONS – Auction invitations were sent home yesterday. Look for the yellow envelope in your youngest student’s folder.
AUCTION TICKETS go on sale today at this link! Tables of 10 may be purchased and reserved, so organize your table group now!
ONLINE AUCTION runs Thursday, March 14 – Sunday, March 18th. So many rad items will be up for auction. More details in the coming weeks.
AUCTION CHAIRS are needed in key roles. Our current chairs have been a part of the auction committee for nearly 20 years combined. They all work full-time and have children on the way out of Holy Rosary within a couple years so we’re looking to get shadows for the remainder of this planning year. Please contact Beth Martin at BMartin@HolyRosaryWS.org if interested in the following:
- Procurement – coordinate all auction donations, oversee a team working on family and business procurement
- Logistics – select meals, coordinate deliveries, oversee set up
- Decorations – decide on theme, colors, venue decorations
In addition, this is the last year for the live recorders. This is a perfect job for a couple. The current recorders would love to train you at this year’s auction.
DANCE PICTURES WANTED – Please send your dance pictures to April Sunderland at AprilSunderland@Comcast.net by March 30. All decades accepted and pictures will be used to decorate the auction venue.
KEY DETAILS OF AUCTION
- Date: April 21
- Location: Brockey Center, South Seattle College
- Information: check out the auction page here.
Strideline Socks, with the Holy Rosary logo, have been approved as uniform compliant. There are two sizes available: Small (fits shoes size M1-5 W3-7) Standard (fits shoe size M6-13 W8-15) Click here to order.
If you made a pledge to the Annual Fund for 2017/18 (this school year), then please make sure you are on track to fulfill. Payments may be made here.
REGISTER NOW FOR BASEBALL – It’s time to sign up for baseball! Students in grades 5 and 6 are encouraged to sign-up ASAP. We have committed to a team and sign ups will go on until March 9.
Register online here. Registration closes on March 2 – Registration fees are $75 per player.
Baseball season starts March 18 and consists of eight games on Sundays, which fits in well with league teams. End-of-the-year tournaments are on May 16 – June 3. Follow this link for more information on CYO baseball. Please contact Nathan Thomas at 206.450.4861 and/or email@example.com if you have any questions. Thank you.
Volunteer Opportunities For High Schoolers And/Or Adults
Does your high schooler need volunteer hours, as well as a way to share her/his leadership skills? We have many opportunities at Holy Rosary Parish.
- Help at our First Communion Banner Social at Holy Rosary on March 13 at 5:30. Please sign up online here.
If you have any questions, please email Deyette at firstname.lastname@example.orgAdult Faith Formation
Upcoming Events To Help You Grow In Your Faith
- Lenten Prayer and Meditation! Every Tuesday in Lent, we will gather for a half-hour of prayer and meditation in the presence of the Eucharist. Our next meeting will be on March 6 at 6:30 p.m. in the Parish Center Chapel. Feel free to invite a friend!
- Stations of the Cross! Every Friday in Lent, Fr. Oakland will lead us in the Way of the Cross at 7 p.m. in the church. Confessions will be available beforehand, starting at 6:15 p.m.!
- Bible Study! We’ll be starting a new study on the book of Exodus soon! Our current group meets on Wednesday mornings after the morning Mass, starting between 9:30 and 9:45. The next session will be March 7. If you would like to join the Wednesday morning group, or if you would like to join a group at a different time, please contact Robert King.
- Sunday School for Grown-ups offers adult-level insights into our faith on the first and third Sundays of each month between the morning Masses (about 9:30-10:20 a.m.). The next session will be on March 4, and the topic will be “Making a Good Confession”
- Curious about Catholicism? Been away from the Church, but want to return? We have ongoing programs for adults who want to learn more about the Catholic faith. Please contact Robert King for more information.
If you would like more information, or if you have any suggestions to make, please contact Robert King at email@example.com or 206-937-1488 x203
Summer camps are listed on our summer camp page here. It’s updated as needed.
Art Workshop Classes With Ms. Reuter
Now enrolling for after school art workshop session B5!
- Dates: April 12, 19, 26, May 3, 10, 17
- Time: 3:15-5:00 p.m. Doors open right at 3 p.m.
- Cost: $175
- Location: Seattle Lutheran High School. An easy walk across the courtyard, right behind Holy Rosary School.
- Ages: K-6
- Projects: Puff paintings, flying plaster pigs (wahoo!), TP coy fish, wacky hats, straw engineering, and loads of other super fun stuff.
Kids And Teens (ages 7+) Playhouse NW Acting Class
This class encourages and stimulates children of all experience levels in a fun and safe environment. The class will cover improvisation, Meisner technique, on-camera work, auditioning, stunt fighting, monologues, and scene work. By learning to express their own uniqueness, kids will develop self-confidence that will stay with them wherever they go.
- Saturday, March 3, 1-4 p.m.
- Sunday, March 4, 1-4 p.m.
Price: $250 for all four classes. $75 per drop-in class.
Registration: To register, please call the Playhouse NW office at 206-938-3375. Space is limited! Creative financing and scholarships available on request.
Teacher: Lisa Skvarla (excellent with kids). Read her bio here.
Location: Playhouse NW Acting School, 3270 California Ave SW (upstairs in the Lee’s Martial Arts building.) www.playhousenw.com