Dear Holy Rosary Families,
I hope you had a relaxing long weekend. With this cold snap, it kind of feels like we’ve gone back in time to December! I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we make the transition into spring weather soon!
We’ve completed our first full week of Lent, and I hope you’ve had the opportunity to pray with your family and reflect on this season. We spent a wonderful retreat day with the staff on Friday reflecting on Scripture and how important it is to allow ourselves time to sit with the Word of God and allow Scripture and its message to fill our beings. Even 5 minutes per day of intentional silence, reflecting on a prayer, a reading from Scripture, or a daily reflection can go a long way in making this Lenten season a more prayerful time. I’ve set this goal for myself, and wanted to share one method of engaging with Scripture, which is something I used with staff during our retreat. I hope this might be helpful for you in engaging with the Word of God this Lenten season.
Have a wonderful rest of the week,
NOTES & REMINDERS
Tomorrow is pizza lunch!
Lenten Brown Bag Lunch
Bring a brown bag lunch for St. Martin de Porres and sample-sized disposable razors/shaving cream. More details below in Lenten Outreach.
The office is looking for a volunteer to help distribute milk during lunch times every Monday. The time commitment is approximately an hour and a half.
- February 24 – Crab Feed dinner
- March 7 – School play 7 p.m.
- March 8 – School play 7 p.m.
- March 16 – Deanery Curriculum Day – no school – BASE open
SCHOOL ACTION ITEMS
During Lent, our students will be participating in a variety of service outreach and prayer opportunities. The details for our annual Lenten Brown Bag lunch program with St. Martin de Porres can be found below. Please watch your child’s classroom newsletter and website for details about our upcoming Holy Thursday Service Outreach. The six weeks of Lent give us ample time and opportunity for service outreach. Pick and choose the activities that work for your family.
Every year, as part of our Lenten Outreach, Holy Rosary School has provided lunches to the men at St. Martin de Porres shelter. Students are asked to bring a lunch or two and a toiletry item on designated Fridays during Lent. These lunches can be kept cold, so perishable food is fine.
If you are interested in driving a few students to deliver the lunches one Friday in Lent, please contact Jennifer Hazzard in the school office.
Please keep the toiletry items separate from the lunches.
- February 23 – disposable razors/shaving cream (sample size)
- March 2 – Men’s gloves
- March 9 – travel size toothpaste and disposable toothbrush (singles)
- March 16 – No School due to Archdiocesan In-service Day
- March 23 – men’s socks
EVENTS & FUNDRAISING
CHURCH PARKING LOT RAFFLE LEAD WANTED – Contact Beth Martin if interested in organizing the church parking raffle. One volunteer is needed to oversee weekly mass volunteers, tracking and distributing tickets.
AUCTION TICKETS go on sale March 1. Tables of 10 may be purchased and reserved, so organize your table group now!
ONLINE AUCTION runs Thursday, March 14 – Sunday, March 18th. So many rad items will be up for auction. More details in the coming weeks.
- Date: April 21
- Location: Brockey Center, South Seattle College
- Information: check out the auction page here.
Strideline Socks, with the Holy Rosary logo, have been approved as uniform compliant. There are two sizes available: Small (fits shoes size M1-5 W3-7) Standard (fits shoe size M6-13 W8-15) Click here to order.
If you made a pledge to the Annual Fund for 2017/18 (this school year), then please make sure you are on track to fulfill. Payments may be made here.
Save The Date For The Holy Rosary School Play
Bring your whole family on the evenings of March 7 and 8 to enjoy Holy Rosary Drama Department’s debut of Porridgegate! This play is full of mystery, intrigue, humor and whimsical entertainment!
When: Wednesday, March 7 and Thursday, March 8 at 7 p.m.
Where: Holy Rosary School – School Hall
Cost: Donations warmly accepted at the door
Delicious treats and refreshments will be available from our concession stand!
REGISTER NOW FOR BASEBALL – It’s time to sign up for baseball! Students in grades 5 and 6 are encouraged to sign-up ASAP. We have committed to a team and sign ups will go on until March 9.
Register online here. Registration closes on March 2 – Registration fees are $75 per player.
Baseball season starts March 18 and consists of eight games on Sundays, which fits in well with league teams. End-of-the-year tournaments are on May 16 – June 3. Follow this link for more information on CYO baseball. Please contact Nathan Thomas at 206.450.4861 and/or email@example.com if you have any questions. Thank you.
Save the Date for the Father/Daughter Glow Bowl On April 27
Father/Daughter Glow Bowl on Friday, April 27 at West Seattle Bowl! All fathers and daughters welcome! Registration coming soon.
Walking With Purpose Hosting Rosary In Chapel, February 26, 7 p.m.
Walking with Purpose is hosting the Rosary in the Chapel at 7 p.m. on Monday, February 26. All are welcome to pray the Rosary. If you don’t know how to pray the Rosary this is a wonderful opportunity to learn. Afterwards you are invited to a gathering in the reception room. For questions, please email Deyette at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Opportunities For High Schoolers And/Or Adults
Does your high schooler need volunteer hours, as well as a way to share her/his leadership skills? We have many opportunities at Holy Rosary Parish.
- Serve at the Community Meal hosted by Holy Rosary and Our Lady Guadalupe on February 25 at OLG. We need help with set-up, serving, and cleanup. Please sign up online by clicking here.
- Help at our First Communion Banner Social at Holy Rosary on February 27 or March 13 at 5:30. Please sign up online here.
If you have any questions, please email Deyette at email@example.comAdult Faith Formation
Upcoming Events To Help You Grow In Your Faith
- Lenten Prayer and Meditation! Every Tuesday in Lent, we will gather for a half-hour of prayer and meditation in the presence of the Eucharist. Our next meeting will be on February 27 at 6:30 p.m. in the Parish Center Chapel. Feel free to invite a friend!
- Stations of the Cross! Every Friday in Lent, Fr. Oakland will lead us in the Way of the Cross at 7 p.m. in the church. Confessions will be available beforehand, starting at 6:15 p.m.!
- Bible Study! We’ll be starting a new study on the book of Exodus soon! Our current group meets on Wednesday mornings after the morning Mass, starting between 9:30 and 9:45. The next session will be February 28. If you would like to join the Wednesday morning group, or if you would like to join a group at a different time, please contact Robert King.
- Sunday School for Grown-ups offers adult-level insights into our faith on the first and third Sundays of each month between the morning Masses (about 9:30-10:20 a.m.). The next session will be on March 4, and the topic will be “Making a Good Confession”
- Curious about Catholicism? Been away from the Church, but want to return? We have ongoing programs for adults who want to learn more about the Catholic faith. Please contact Robert King for more information.
If you would like more information, or if you have any suggestions to make, please contact Robert King at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-937-1488 x203
Art Workshop Classes And Summer Camps With Ms. Reuter
To register your child for ongoing after-school Art Workshop classes or to enroll for fabulously fun Summer Art Camps, visit www.rainbowparrotart.com
These programs are run by Ms. Reuter, former art teacher at Holy Rosary School. They are held across the courtyard, at Seattle Lutheran High School. This is not a Holy Rosary School program.
West Seattle Girls Softball
Register now for West Seattle Girls Softball – open to all skill levels between the ages of 6 to 15. Practice begins in mid-March and games begin in April. Please follow the link to our website to register your daughter(s) now. Registration closes February 28! Questions – please email email@example.com www.westseattlegirlssoftball.com
Community Meal At Our Lady of Guadalupe
Please help feed 150 of your neighbors in need. Holy Rosary will be hosting the Community Meal on Sunday, February 25 at Our Lady of Guadalupe. We will need help with set-up, serving, and cleanup — volunteers needed especially with serving and cleanup. A donation of a dessert is a wonderful addition to the meal! Holy Rosary parents get General Hours for Community Meal Service. Please sign up by clicking clicking here.
Kids And Teens (ages 7+) Playhouse NW Acting Class
This class encourages and stimulates children of all experience levels in a fun and safe environment. The class will cover improvisation, Meisner technique, on-camera work, auditioning, stunt fighting, monologues, and scene work. By learning to express their own uniqueness, kids will develop self-confidence that will stay with them wherever they go.
- Saturday, February 24, 1-4 p.m.
- Sunday, February 25, 1-4 p.m.
- Saturday, March 3, 1-4 p.m.
- Sunday, March 4, 1-4 p.m.
Price: $250 for all four classes. $75 per drop-in class.
Registration: To register, please call the Playhouse NW office at 206-938-3375. Space is limited! Creative financing and scholarships available on request.
Teacher: Lisa Skvarla (excellent with kids). Read her bio here.
Location: Playhouse NW Acting School, 3270 California Ave SW (upstairs in the Lee’s Martial Arts building.) www.playhousenw.com