Dear Holy Rosary Families,
Lent officially began yesterday. I don’t know about you, but I had to work to “switch gears” on Wednesday morning. With the Valentine’s Day celebrations and all of the other excitement of Fat Tuesday, I needed to pause and really take some time to begin my Ash Wednesday in prayer, in order to separate myself from the day before and truly see the beginning of Lent as a chance to draw myself closer to God.
Last week, I encouraged preparation for Lent, so as we began this time of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving, we did so with the intention of drawing ourselves closer to God. I know this is not perfect or easy work, and you may find yourselves looking for tangible ways to live out your Lenten journey. Each week during Lent, I’ll provide some ideas, resources, or prayers that you might use with your families. This week, I’m sharing with you the message that hangs on my door during Lent:
Do You Want to Fast This Lent? In the words of Pope Francis
- Fast from hurting words and say kind words.
- Fast from sadness and be filled with gratitude.
- Fast from anger and be filled with patience.
- Fast from pessimism and be filled with hope.
- Fast from worries and have trust in God.
- Fast from complaints and contemplate simplicity.
- Fast from pressures and be prayerful.
- Fast from bitterness and fill your hearts with joy.
- Fast from selfishness and be compassionate to others.
- Fast from grudges and be reconciled.
- Fast from words and be silent so you can listen.
May the peace of Christ fill you this Lenten season.
NOTES & REMINDERS
No School Tomorrow
There is no school tomorrow (2/16) due to a staff retreat day, and no school on Monday and Tuesday (2/19 and 2/20) for winter break/President’s Day. BASE will be open all three days.
The office is looking for a volunteer to help distribute milk during lunch times every Monday. The time commitment is approximately an hour and a half.
- February 16 – No School Teacher Retreat – BASE open
- February 19 – President’s Day No School – BASE open
- February 20 – Winter Break No School – BASE open
- February 24 – Crab Feed dinner
- March 7 – School play 7:00 p.m.
- March 8 – School play 7:00 p.m.
- March 16 – Deanery Curriculum Day – no school – BASE open
SCHOOL ACTION ITEMS
During Lent, our students will be participating in a variety of service outreach and prayer opportunities. The details for our annual Lenten Brown Bag lunch program with St. Martin de Porres can be found below. Please watch your child’s classroom newsletter and website for details about our upcoming Holy Thursday Service Outreach. The six weeks of Lent give us ample time and opportunity for service outreach. Pick and choose the activities that work for your family.
Every year, as part of our Lenten Outreach, Holy Rosary School has provided lunches to the men at St. Martin de Porres shelter. Students are asked to bring a lunch or two and a toiletry item on designated Fridays during Lent. These lunches can be kept cold, so perishable food is fine.
If you are interested in driving a few students to deliver the lunches one Friday in Lent, please contact Jennifer Hazzard in the school office.
Please keep the toiletry items separate from the lunches.
- February 23 – disposable razors/shaving cream (sample size)
- March 2 – Men’s gloves
- March 9 – travel size toothpaste and disposable toothbrush (singles)
- March 16 – No School due to Archdiocesan In-service Day
- March 23 – men’s socks
EVENTS & FUNDRAISING
AUCTION – Dig out your prom photos! With the 80’s prom theme, the auction committee is looking for your prom photos – even if you went to prom in a different decade. Please scan and send to April Sunderland at AprilSunderland@comcast.net.
Know a business that would like to sponsor or advertise in the auction catalog? Sponsorship opportunities are available. Contact Beth Martin.
Auction volunteer hours will be posted in the next eFC.
CASH FOR VOLUNTEERING – Did you know that some companies match your volunteer hours with cash donations? A few that come to mind are the Gates Foundation, Microsoft, and Starbucks. Check with your HR department to see if your company matches volunteer hours.
AUCTION TICKETS go on sale March 1. Tables of 10 may be purchased and reserved, so organize your table group now!
- Date: April 21
- Location: Brockey Center, South Seattle College
- Information: check out the auction page here.
If you made a pledge to the Annual Fund for 2017/18 (this school year), then please make sure you are on track to fulfill. Payments may be made here.
Holy Rosary King Crab Fest
Enjoy an evening with family-style served salad, pot of king crab, seafood varietal, corn and potatoes, ending with dessert! All served literally on the table from the pot, ready to dig into with your hands! All proceeds benefit Holy Rosary School – beer and wine available for purchase. Per person meal cost: adults – $40, seniors – $35, children – $10. Children have the option of a corn dog or king crab for their main course. Saturday, February 24 at 6 p.m. in Lanigan Gym. Holy Rosary families can purchase tickets here.
Fundraising Hours Available!
If you would like to volunteer your time at the February 24 King Crab Dinner, we need kitchen help, servers, check-in people, and clean-up. Click here to sign up to help at the event. Hours available on Friday and Saturday.
It’s time to sign up for baseball! Students in grades 5 and 6 are encouraged to sign up ASAP. We need to commit to a team on February 15 (today!) but sign ups can go on until March 9. If we have anyone interested in pulling a 7/8 team together please contact me TODAY (February 15)!
Register online here. Registration closes on March 2. – Registration fees are $75 per player.
Baseball season starts March 18 and consists of eight games on Sundays, which fits in well with league teams. End-of-the-year tournaments are from May 16 – June 3. Follow this link for more information on CYO baseball. Please contact Nathan Thomas at 206.450.4861 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Thank you.
Holy Rosary will be holding an information session for a Lego Robotics Club. While the meeting is being scheduled, a survey is available here to help gauge interest and availability. If you have any questions or comments, please contact Chris Paulus at email@example.com.
Sasquatch Reading Award
Calling all grades 4, 5, and 6 readers! Sasquatch Book Awards needs your help with this year’s Sasquatch Reading Award. It’s easy to do — stop by the library for information or click on the link below, read at least two of the listed books (a few are in our library), and complete a ballot in the library. Winning title is announced in April. Read about all the Sasquatch nominees here. Questions? Come see Mrs. Flohr in the Library. Happy reading!
Save the Date for the Father/Daughter Glow Bowl On April 27
Father/Daughter Glow Bowl on Friday, April 27 at West Seattle Bowl! All fathers and daughters welcome! Registration coming soon.
Walking With Purpose Hosting Rosary In Chapel, February 26, 7 p.m.
Walking with Purpose is hosting the Rosary in the Chapel at 7 p.m. on Monday, February 26. All are welcome to pray the Rosary. If you don’t know how to pray the Rosary this is a wonderful opportunity to learn. Afterwards you are invited to a gathering in the reception room. For questions, please email Deyette at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Opportunities For High Schoolers And/Or Adults
Does your high schooler need volunteer hours, as well as a way to share her/his leadership skills? We have many opportunities at Holy Rosary Parish.
- Serve at the Community Meal hosted by Holy Rosary and Our Lady Guadalupe on February 25 at OLG. We need help with set-up, serving, and cleanup. Please sign up online by clicking here.
- Help at our First Communion Banner Social at Holy Rosary on February 27 or March 13 at 5:30. Please sign up online here.
If you have any questions, please email Deyette at email@example.comAdult Faith Formation
Upcoming Events To Help You Grow In Your Faith
- Lenten Prayer and Meditation! Every Tuesday in Lent, we will gather for a half-hour of prayer and meditation in the presence of the Eucharist. Our next meeting will be on February 20 at 6:30 p.m. in the Parish Center Chapel. Feel free to invite a friend!
- The Question Box is back! We still haven’t chosen our topic for our next session, so ask any question you’d like and drop it in one of the Question Boxes at the entrances to the Church. We’ll answer them in a series of evening sessions through the winter and spring.
- Bible Study! We’ll be starting a new study on the book of Exodus soon! Our current group meets on Wednesday mornings after the morning Mass, starting between 9:30 and 9:45. The next session will be February 21. If you would like to join the Wednesday morning group, or if you would like to join a group at a different time, please contact Robert King.
- Sunday School for Grown-ups offers adult-level insights into our faith on the first and third Sundays of each month between the morning Masses (about 9:30-10:20 a.m.). Because of the Presidents’ Day weekend, we will not have SSGU on February 18. Our next session will be on March 4, and the topic will be “Making a Good Confession”
- Curious about Catholicism? Been away from the Church, but want to return? We have ongoing programs for adults who want to learn more about the Catholic faith. Please contact Robert King for more information.
If you would like more information, or if you have any suggestions to make, please contact Robert King at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-937-1488 x203
Art Workshop Classes And Summer Camps With Ms. Reuter
To register your child for ongoing after-school Art Workshop classes or to enroll for fabulously fun Summer Art Camps, visit www.rainbowparrotart.com
These programs are run by Ms. Reuter, former art teacher at Holy Rosary School. They are held across the courtyard, at Seattle Lutheran High School. This is not a Holy Rosary School program.
West Seattle Girls Softball
Register now for West Seattle Girls Softball – open to all skill levels between the ages of 6 to 15. Practice begins in mid-March and games begin in April. Please follow the link to our website to register your daughter(s) now. Registration closes February 28! Questions – please email email@example.com www.westseattlegirlssoftball.com
Community Meal At Our Lady of Guadalupe
Please help feed 150 of your neighbors in need. Holy Rosary will be hosting the Community Meal on Sunday, February 25 at Our Lady of Guadalupe. We will need help with set-up, serving, and cleanup — volunteers needed especially with serving and cleanup. A donation of a dessert is a wonderful addition to the meal! Holy Rosary parents get General Hours for Community Meal Service. Please sign up by clicking clicking here.
Our Lady of Guadalupe Free Throw Contest
Show off your basketball skills! Our Lady of Guadalupe Council Knights of Columbus is sponsoring a Free Throw Competition for all boys and girls ages 9 to 14. It will be held Saturday, February 17 at 9 a.m. The competition will be held at Our Lady of Guadalupe Gym, 3410 SW Myrtle St., Seattle. Each boy and girl age group champion will be eligible to advance to the District Competition to be held in February. Please be prepared to provide proof of age (birth certificate, etc.). If you have questions, please call Jim Tague (206) 715-7909 or Don Hill (206) 406-4329. See you there!
Sports At The YMCA
Registration for indoor soccer (Pre-K through grade 1) and basketball (grades 6 -8) at the YMCA has begun. Flyers are in the school office with more details.
Kids And Teens (ages 7+) Playhouse NW Acting Class
This class encourages and stimulates children of all experience levels in a fun and safe environment. The class will cover improvisation, Meisner technique, on-camera work, auditioning, stunt fighting, monologues, and scene work. By learning to express their own uniqueness, kids will develop self-confidence that will stay with them wherever they go.
- Saturday, February 24, 1-4 p.m.
- Sunday, February 25, 1-4 p.m.
- Saturday, March 3, 1-4 p.m.
- Sunday, March 4, 1-4 p.m.
Price: $250 for all four classes. $75 per drop-in class.
Registration: To register, please call the Playhouse NW office at 206-938-3375. Space is limited! Creative financing and scholarships available on request.
Teacher: Lisa Skvarla (excellent with kids). Read her bio here.
Location: Playhouse NW Acting School, 3270 California Ave SW (upstairs in the Lee’s Martial Arts building.) www.playhousenw.com
Watts Basketball Clinic February 19
Leadership includes the right focus, being confident, honest and decisive, having positivity, and most of all, inspiring others. At Watts Basketball, we want to build as many athletes as we can into leaders! Join us for our President’s Day Clinic on February 19 at Salvation Army. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 206-467-1383, view this flyer, or visit our website here.
Private Violin Lessons
Take private violin lessons with Signature Violin Studios in West Seattle! We train in the Suzuki method. Your first lesson is FREE! Contact Claire Braby (email@example.com) for more information or visit www.clairebraby.com.