Dear Holy Rosary Families,
Catholic Schools Week is nearly upon us, and I hope you are able to celebrate with us this weekend at Mass and at our open house to follow the 10:30 Mass on Sunday. This is a chance for all current and prospective families to celebrate the great gift that is Catholic education. Holy Rosary School is a truly special place, a place where our children receive not only an outstanding academic education, but a place where all we do is rooted in the teachings of Christ. It is a joy and a privilege to walk this journey alongside you and to see all of our students grow as Disciples of Christ.
I hope to see you this weekend, and encourage your children to wear their uniforms to whatever Mass you attend this weekend as a sign of community and a celebration of our school.
NOTES & REMINDERS
Jeans Day, Faith Family, Primrose Planting Tomorrow
Students may wear jeans tomorrow for our faith family primrose planting. They can bring garden shovels to help with the planting. Be sure to mark your name on them.
Catholic Schools Week Overview
- Sunday – 10:30 Mass, Champions of Holy Rosary Award Presentation. Students wear uniform to Mass.
- Monday – In Appreciation of Parents. Students may wear Gator/CYO gear.
- Tuesday – In Appreciation of our Community. Students wear normal uniform.
- Wednesday – Grandparent’s Day – 11:30 – begins in the church; students have lunch with grandparent/special friend student wear perfect uniform.
- Thursday – In Appreciation of Lifelong Learning – grades 1-4 spelling bee from 8:30-9:15. Grades 5-8 spelling bee from 9:30-10:15. Students wear perfect uniform.
- Friday – In Appreciation of our Students – Spirit assembly, 9:30-10:45. Volleyball games at 1:30 – Holy Rosary staff vs. grade 8. Students wear animal theme clothing.
The office needs a volunteer every Monday to help distribute milk during lunchtime. The time commitment is approximately from 11:10-12:30.
Annual Asbestos Reporting
Please see this link for the annual reporting information from the Archdiocese and the Office for Catholic Schools. Please disregard the date- we just received the letter for distribution and the information is current for this school year.
No Hot Lunch
Hot lunch will NOT be available on January 31, Grandparent’s Day. Please be sure to pack a lunch for your child that day.
Parent’s Club Position Open
Be a room parent coordinator! Responsibilities include updating and distributing the room parent handbook and other pertinent materials, soliciting volunteers for and communicating with room parents. This position is a 2-3 year commitment. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Thank you.
- January 28 – Start of Catholic Schools Week Mass
- January 31 – Grandparent’s Day
- February 9 – Kindergarten testing (no school for kindergarten)
- February 16 – No School Teacher Retreat – BASE Open
- February 19 – President’s Day No School – BASE Open
- February 20 – Winter Break No School – BASE Open
- February 24 – Crab Smash dinner
- March 7 – School play 7:00 p.m.
- March 8 – School play 7:00 p.m.
- March 16 – Deanery Curriculum Day – no school – BASE Open
SCHOOL ACTION ITEMS
Catholic Schools Week Open House
On Sunday, January 28, after the 10:30 Mass until 1:30, we will have our last preschool-grade 8 Open House of the year. All families are welcome to the Open House as we showcase current student projects. We are in need of parent volunteers (set-up and check-in) and eighth grade tour guides. Sign up for the event here.
Catholic Schools Week Coat Drive
Do you have any gently-used adult coats to share? Seventh and eighth graders are collecting them for the needy guests at the St. James Cathedral kitchen. Coats can be dropped off during Catholic Schools Week in the labeled box in the hallway just past the front office. Thank you for sharing.
Re-Enroll Now! Due By January 31
Complete re-enrollment before January 31. For current school families, if you have an incoming kindergartener, please make sure to add that new student to your re-enrollment form. If you have a new preschooler, you would also add them to your re-enrollment form. Registration fees are unchanged, $300 per K-8 student and $200 per preschool student. Registration fees cover technology, field trip, class party, and re-enrollment costs per student. All registration fees will be billed through FACTS and due February 28. The first class to complete re-enrollment will win a free dress pass. Re-enroll now!
Accepting Financial Aid Applications
The deadline for Holy Rosary School aid is January 31. Click here to sign-in/or create an account to begin the application. Any questions, please contact Jennifer Kokkonis at email@example.com.
EVENTS & FUNDRAISING
The GRANDPARENTS & SPECIAL FRIENDS LUNCH will be Wednesday, January 31. Please spread the word that there are some changes this year:
- The entertainment program will start in the church at 11:30, doors open at 11.
- Grandparents/special friends will proceed at noon to the School Hall or Lanigan Gym for lunch.
- Students will get to eat with their grandparents/special friends.
- Lunch provided for grandparents/special friends ONLY. All students will need to bring a lunch, as there will NOT be hot lunch service that day.
- Due to space constraints there will NOT be a book fair this year.
- Volunteers are needed please sign up here.
Wednesday, January 31 is the last day to enter your AUCTION FAMILY DONATION. All families who do not submit an item will be charged $175 to their FACTS account on February 1. The auction committee would prefer donations as entered through the links below. Need donations items? Contact Beth Martin.
If you choose to donate cash, then the auction committee will combine funds to purchase unique items and experiences.
- Date: April 21
- Location: Brockey Center, South Seattle College
- Information: check out the auction page here.
- Donate An Item: HERE
- Donate Cash: HERE
All donations must be entered by Wednesday, January 31 and dropped off at the school by Wednesday, February 28.
Animal Spirit Day
On the Friday of Catholic School’s Week – February 2 – in order to celebrate our students we will be having an animal spirit day! We’re not kitten around; it’s going to be toadally fun! Students can wear anything animal related: animal shirts, animal prints, fuzzy sweaters, animal hats/ears, animal costumes. The animals can be from the safari or forest, under the sea or in the sky, from the desert or Arctic, or even one you’d find at home. Leadership elective will be hosting the spirit assembly starting at 9:30, so come to school prepared to cheer on your fellow animal friends. Thanks, and looking forward to all of the great school spirit!
Holy Rosary King Crab Dinner
Enjoy an evening with family-style served salad, pot of king crab, seafood varietal, corn and potatoes, ending with dessert! All served literally on the table from the pot, ready to dig into with your hands! All proceeds benefit Holy Rosary School – beer and wine available for purchase. Per person meal cost: adults – $40, seniors – $35, children – $10. Children have the option of a corn dog or king crab for their main course. Saturday, February 24 at 6 p.m. in Lanigan Gym. Holy Rosary families can purchase tickets here.
Fundraising Hours Available!
If you would like to volunteer your time at the February 24 King Crab Dinner, we need kitchen help, servers, check-in people, and clean-up. Click here to sign up to help at the event. Hours available on Friday and Saturday.
Sasquatch Reading Award
Calling all grades 4, 5, and 6 readers! Sasquatch Book Awards needs your help with this year’s Sasquatch Reading Award. It’s easy to do — stop by the library for information or click on the link below, read at least two of the listed books (a few are in our library), and complete a ballot in the library. Winning title is announced in April. Read about all the Sasquatch nominees here. Questions? Come see Mrs. Flohr in the Library. Happy reading!
Save the Date for the Father/Daughter Glow Bowl On April 27
Father/Daughter Glow Bowl on Friday, April 27 at West Seattle Bowl! All fathers and daughters welcome! Registration coming soon.
Adult Faith Formation
Here are some upcoming ways to grow in your faith:
- The Question Box is back! We still haven’t chosen our topic for our next session, so ask any question you’d like and drop it in one of the Question Boxes at the entrances to the Church. We’ll answer them in a series of evening sessions through the winter and spring.
- Bible Study! We’ll be starting a new study on the book of Exodus soon! Our current group meets on Wednesday mornings after the morning Mass, starting between 9:30 and 9:45. The next session will be January 31. If you would like to join the Wednesday morning group, or if you would like to join a group at a different time, please contact Robert King.
- Sunday School for Grown-ups offers adult-level insights into our faith on the first and third Sundays of each month between the morning Masses (about 9:30-10:20 a.m.). Our next topic will be Faith, Football, and You, on February 4!
If you would like more information, or if you have any suggestions to make, please contact Robert King at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-937-1488 x203
Sunday Nursery Volunteers Needed
We’re looking for a few student volunteers for the Holy Rosary Sunday nursery from 10:30-11:30 a.m. to play with children in our Nursery during our 10:30 a.m. Mass. Our nursery always has two paid caregivers who will supervise the volunteer students. Volunteering in the nursery is a fun way to earn volunteer hours and to help your Parish. Our Parish nursery is in the Parish Center basement and is open every Sunday. Please click on this link for the nursery SignUpGenius to sign-up your child. If you have any questions, please contact Deyette at email@example.com or call at 206-937-1488, ext. 251.
Sports At The YMCA
Registration for indoor soccer (Pre-K through grade 1) and basketball (grades 6 -8) at the YMCA has begun. Flyers are in the school office with more details.
Playhouse NW Acting Classes
Please see this flyer from NW Acting School for adult and children acting classes.
Private Violin Lessons
Take private violin lessons with Signature Violin Studios in West Seattle! We train in the Suzuki method. Your first lesson is FREE! Contact Claire Braby (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information or visit www.clairebraby.com.