Dear Holy Rosary Families,
The first week of Advent is upon us and we’re focusing as a school on increasing our prayer during this time of preparation for the Incarnation of Christ. I wanted to share with you the prayer we used to start this week, in hopes that it might become a prayer that you incorporate into your family’s daily prayer routine during this Advent season.
Come, long-expected Jesus. Excite in us a wonder at the wisdom and power of Your Father and ours. Receive our prayer as part of our service to the Lord who enlists us in God’s own work for justice. Come, long-expected Jesus. Excite in us a hunger for peace: peace in the world, peace in our homes, and peace in ourselves. Come, long-expected Jesus. Excite in us a joy responsive to the Father’s joy. We seek His will so we can serve with gladness, singing and love. Come, long-expected Jesus. Excite in us the joy and love and peace it is right to bring to the manger of our Lord.
I hope this first week of Advent is filled with prayerful blessings for your family.
Preschool Survey Follow Up
Preschool 2018-2019 – Thank you to those who completed our preschool survey. Based on the survey results, we have made the decision to not pursue licensing our preschool for the 2018-2019 school year and offer a full day program. We will continue to offer our current half day options for 2, 3, and 4 year olds.
Christmas program news! Our annual Christmas program, Lessons and Carols, happens Thursday, December 14 in the church, beginning at 6:30 p.m. with the school band performance. Following the band, each class will perform. Doors will open beginning at 5:30. Please see that your child reports to their classroom no later than 6 – please note: supervision in the classrooms will not begin until 6. Students are to wear their “Sunday best” – (no jeans, etc. – please consult the handbook for general guidelines).
Seats will be reserved for families of kindergarten students, as well as those who bid for the front row seats at the auction last year. (Please contact the school office if this is your family.) Special request — if you plan to record the performance, please do so from the sides of the church so that all are able to see and enjoy the program. This is a graded performance with required attendance for both band and music classes. If for some reason your student is unable to attend, or for any questions, please contact Ms. Mudge at firstname.lastname@example.org or the office. Finally, since this format is that of a prayer service, we ask that you stay to the very end where you will await a special finale song! Thank you and blessings to you and yours for a very Happy Advent!
The Holy Rosary School Band (grades 6-8) will be performing in the Christmas Program on December 14 at 6:30 p.m. Band members are asked to arrive at 6. This is a graded concert and attendance is required. We look forward to sharing the music of this special season with all of you!
- December 8 – Feast of the Immaculate Conception (all school Mass 8:35)
- December 13 – Preschool Christmas Program 6:30 School Hall
- December 14 – Christmas Program (begins at 6:30)
- December 19 – January 1 – Christmas Break (begins at noon dismissal)
- January 12 – Noon Dismissal Magazine Drive reward
- January 15 – Dr. Martin Luther King Holiday (no school)
- January 28 – Start of Catholic Schools Week Mass
- January 31 – Grandparent’s Day
- February 9 – Kindergarten Testing (no school for Kindergarten)
SCHOOL ACTION ITEMS
Yearbook Order Time!
Last chance to order the Holy Rosary School yearbook! This year’s theme is Growing Memories (think nature, garden, growth), so put the petal to the metal and ORDER ONLINE HERE TODAY! $25 for grades preschool through 7, and $30 for grade 8 (includes namestamping and extra eighth grade pages). Your FACTS account will be billed. The last day to order is tomorrow and there won’t be another chance to get a yearbook, so order today!
Accepting Financial Aid Applications
Applying for a Fulcrum Foundation tuition grant and Holy Rosary financial aid for the 2018-19 school year is open and available through FACTS. Click here to sign-in/or create an account to begin the application. Applying for Fulcrum aid and HRS aid uses the same FACTS application, please check Fulcrum to be considered for Fulcrum Foundation aid. Please complete your application before December 15. Any questions, please contact Jennifer Kokkonis at email@example.com.
EVENTS & FUNDRAISING
Need Stocking Stuffers for Christmas?
Holy Rosary School water bottles and Strideline socks are for sale, pictures and order information available here.
THE GRANDPARENTS AND SPECIAL FRIENDS’ LUNCH is fast approaching. This is a special day for our students to share Holy Rosary with their loved ones.
Grandparents and special friends are entertained with musical performances by the middle grades while they enjoy a lunch catered by Husky Deli. Students then join their loved ones after lunch for pictures, school tours, and the book fair.
If you would like us to send a paper invitation to grandparent’s or special friends, then you must complete this form by December 13. By completing this form you are NOT RSVP’ing for your family or special friend, only requesting an invitation be sent to them. Save the date for January 31, 2018!
WINE COLLECTION AT PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCES – Free dress passes, for those that contributed a bottle of wine during conferences, will go home with the youngest student in your family today or tomorrow.
AUCTION – Auction details are coming together. All you need to know about the auction will be published next week. The family donations form will open when we return in January. The committee is looking for shadows for the following positions:
- Class Project Liaison – this person collects details and descriptions on the class projects and acts as a liaison between the chairs the room parent project coordinator.
- Teacher Book Coordinator – kids love receiving the teacher books and a coordinator is needed to reach out to each teacher and assist with selecting a book. Books are ordered through the school, and then the coordinator would wrap and tag for delivery.
AMAZON SHOPPING PORTAL – Congrats to 7B, the week two winners! Don’t forget to shop using the Amazon links on the homepage. Last year we received $10,700 by shopping through the Amazon portal! All purchases, with the exception of gift cards, made through the links on this page send money back to the school. The classroom with the highest totals win weekly prizes and the overall highest classroom will enjoy a pajama and pizza party in January. Shop NOW until Christmas Day!
Campbell’s Labels For Education
Due to such popular demand we are going to have to close the after-school chess class to new members until further notice. Numbers usually fluctuate as the year goes on and I anticipate being able to open the class again. I will post any changes in the eFC. Thanks for understanding, Mr. Ritscher
Ski Bus Volunteers Needed
Ski Bus volunteers needed!!! Free ride to the mountain! Commit to one, two, or all eight trips up to the ski resort. Your ride will be paid for in exchange for making sure everyone who gets off the bus at the mountain, gets back on the bus at the mountain, (or has been signed out by a parent/guardian). Every Saturday starting January 6, 2018. Bus goes to Summit Central. Please see a recap below for details of the program.
Please contact Lisa Quinn – Lp_quinn@live.com – as soon as possible for dates and more Information. Thanks!
CYO Holy Rosary Ski Bus (through Mohan Ski School)
Holy Rosary School ski bus is here! Departing Saturday mornings at approximately 7:15 from Holy Rosary and returning in the late afternoon/early evening. We need a minimum of 30 skiers registered to commit. We are working with a local ski outfitter to organize equipment rentals.
- Kindergarteners through fifth graders must have a chaperone (one parent to three kids maximum). That parent is responsible for their skiers, their equipment, and their lunches.
- Sixth graders can ride the bus without a parent chaperone, but without a designated chaperone, they must take a lesson at the mountain and be able to carry and manage their equipment and dinner.
- Seventh and eighth graders can ride the bus without a parent chaperone and do not need to take a lesson.
- Some parent organizing suggestions – Buy one bus ticket between three parents and trade off weeks. Carpool with other parents, and meet the bus at the mountain.
Click here to register. Thank you!
We are reaching out to Parish and School families with young children to make sure you know about an impactful ministry called PREPARES. PREPARES is a program that Holy Rosary is involved in and is led by the Catholic Bishops of Washington State to support poor and vulnerable families with children from birth to age five. We support these families–not because they are Catholic, but because we are.
At Holy Rosary, we have two specific requests:
- For everyone: If you have a heart for poor and vulnerable families with young children, please join our online community letsgroopit.com/prepares. It will take less than a minute to sign-up and then you will know when there are people like Terra who need a helping hand.
- For 1-2 people: If you are an organizer, we need one person to be a liaison between Holy Rosary School, Parish and PREPARES. You will stay in touch via the online community and then determine whether to organize any special assistance for a family. The time will count toward general volunteer hours. If you are interested learning more about this role, contact Deyette Swegle at DSwegle@holyrosaryseattle.org
Following is an example of how PREPARES was able to help a Mom in need.
Terra is a mom that turned to a local Catholic Church when her son was born prematurely. Her baby was in a Seattle hospital intensive care unit, she lived in Tacoma, and she could not afford to drive back and forth to be with her baby. Through PREPARES, her need was vetted and posted to the PREPARES GroopIt app online. Our caring online community of Catholics in Western Washington provided gas vouchers to lessen Terra’s burden and the next day she had what she needed to be with her newborn baby. Often PREPARES families need practical support along with items that families with young children already have, like extra crib sheets, a winter jacket, or a word of advice. Our community has started to work together online to support people like Terra.
PREPARES is special program and an opportunity to make direct and a long-term impact in peoples’ lives. Thank you for your support!
Want to learn how to make a rosary? Already an expert, but want to make rosaries for the missions? Come learn to make rosaries every first Saturday in the Parish Center. We’ll make corded rosaries for the missions, and all materials will be provided. Our next session will be January 6, after the morning Mass (about 9:15)!
Sunday School For Grown Ups
Discover your faith at a level suited to adults! Sunday School for Grown-ups meets on the first and third Sundays of the month between the morning Masses (roughly 9:30-10:30 a.m.). Upcoming sessions include:
- December 17 – Advent: Celebrating Christ’s First and Second Coming with Robert King
- January 7 – Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist with Darlene Chan
- January 21 – Voices for Life: What the Church Teaches on Life and Why with Karen Robel
Community Meal At Our Lady Of Guadalupe
Please help feed 150 of your neighbors in need. Holy Rosary is hosting the community meal at OLG on Sunday, December 17. We need help with serving and clean up. You can also donate a dessert.
Please check out this link to SignUpGenius and find something that works for your schedule. It is a great opportunity for kids to volunteer with an adult and adults can get general volunteer hours!
Watts Basketball Camps
As you are aware, basketball season is right around the corner and there is probably still a lot to do to prepare. Watts basketball is big on helping players gain the confidence and life skills it takes to be the best player they can be. We are excited to help you and your players prepare for the season by hosting confidence and skill building camps and clinics in your community on days off from school!
Holiday Hoop Camp