Dear Holy Rosary Families,
I hope you had a restful and relaxing three-day weekend! Our classes spent time last week and this week reflecting on the meaning of Monday’s holiday, and as I began our prayer this past Tuesday we spent time as a school pausing, reflecting, and praying that the message of Dr. King continues to permeate our school, community, and world each and every day. I reminded students that the message of Dr. King reminds us to follow the teachings of Jesus- to love one another and to forgive one another. Sometimes I think that if the entire world could pause and remember this, we’d see the world as a much calmer, more peaceful place.
I wanted to include the prayer and message we started Tuesday with this week, as a way of extending our remembrance of the work of Dr. King.
May the peace of Christ be with you all this week,
Yesterday, we honored the birthday of the late Dr. Martin Luther King Junior, a man who stood for equality as a leader in the nonviolent civil rights movement. Dr. King stood for racial equality and remembering him on this day each year is an important part of promoting equality in our community, country, and world. As we start this week, I’d like us to pray for an end to racial, social, economic, and all types of discrimination in our world. Jesus teaches us to love one another, and Dr. King’s message is one of love- a cry of strength to carry on his work of peace and justice, a chance for us to stand strong in love, to pray for healing of the oppressed and the oppressors, and for us to stand strong in love, peace, and nonviolence. This prayer we will use this morning is one of the prayers written by Dr. King.
We thank you for the lives of the great saints and prophets in the past,
Who have revealed to us that we can stand up amid the problems and difficulties and trials of life and not give in.
We thank you for our foreparents, who’ve given us something in the midst of the darkness of exploitation and oppression to keep going.
Grant that we will go on with the proper faith and the proper determination of will, so that we will be able to make a creative contribution to this world.
In the name and spirit of Jesus we pray.
NOTES & REMINDERS
In addition to notifying your child’s teacher of absences, please let the front office know too. Thank you.
No Hot Lunch
Hot lunch will NOT be available on January 31, Grandparent’s Day. Please be sure to pack a lunch for your child that day.
- January 28 – Start of Catholic Schools Week Mass
- January 31 – Grandparent’s Day
- February 9 – Kindergarten testing (no school for kindergarten)
- February 16 – No School Teacher Retreat – BASE Open
- February 19 – President’s Day No School – BASE Open
- February 20 – Winter Break No School – BASE Open
- February 24 – Crab Smash dinner
- March 7 – School play 7:00 p.m.
- March 8 – School play 7:00 p.m.
- March 16 – Deanery Curriculum Day – no school – BASE Open
SCHOOL ACTION ITEMS
Re-Enroll Now! Re-Enrollment Ends January 31
Re-enrollment began January 15 and runs until January 31. For current school families, if you have an incoming kindergartener, please make sure to add that new student to your re-enrollment form. If you have a new preschooler, you would also add them to your re-enrollment form. Registration fees are unchanged, $300 per K-8 student and $200 per preschool student. Registration fees cover technology, field trip, class party, and re-enrollment costs per student. All registration fees will be billed through FACTS and due Feb. 28. The first class to complete re-enrollment will win a free dress pass. Re-enroll now!
Open House Parent Volunteers And Eighth Grade Tour Guides Needed! Sign Up Here.
On Sunday, January 28, after the 10:30 Mass until 1:30, we will have our last preschool through eighth grade Open House of the year. All families are welcome to the Open House as we showcase current student projects. We are in need of parent volunteers (set-up and check-in) and eighth grade tour guides. Sign-up for the event here.
Accepting Financial Aid Applications
The deadline for Holy Rosary School aid is January 31. Click here to sign-in/or create an account to begin the application. Any questions, please contact Jennifer Kokkonis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EVENTS & FUNDRAISING
The GRANDPARENTS & SPECIAL FRIENDS LUNCH will be Wednesday, January 31. There are some changes this year:
- The entertainment program will start in the church at 11:30, doors open at 11.
- Grandparents/Special Friends will proceed at noon to the School Hall or Lanigan Gym for lunch.
- Students will get to eat with their Grandparents/Special Friends.
- Lunch provided for Grandparents/Special Friends ONLY. All students will need to bring a lunch, as there will NOT be hot lunch service that day.
- Due to space constraints there will NOT be a book fair this year.
- Volunteers are needed please sign up here.
We are in need of some RAD auction items. All those who enter their donation below by tomorrow by 9 p.m. will receive a FREE DRESS PASS for each child in K-8. (This includes all those that have already entered their donation.)
Time to get those AUCTION ITEMS in. A reminder that each family is responsible for procuring an auction item valued at $175 or making a cash donation of $175 to Holy Rosary. If you choose to donate cash, then the auction committee will combine funds to purchase unique items and experiences.
- Date: April 21
- Location: Brockey Center, South Seattle College
- Information: check out the auction page here.
- Donate An Item: HERE
- Donate Cash: HERE
All donations must be entered by Wednesday, January 31 and dropped off at the school by Wednesday, February 28.
Animal Spirit Day
On the Friday of Catholic School’s Week – February 2 – in order to celebrate our students we will be having an animal spirit day! We’re not kitten around; it’s going to be toadally fun! Students can wear anything animal related: animal shirts, animal prints, fuzzy sweaters, animal hats/ears, animal costumes. The animals can be from the safari or forest, under the sea or in the sky, from the desert or Arctic, or even one you’d find at home. Leadership elective will be hosting the spirit assembly starting at 9:30, so come to school prepared to cheer on your fellow animal friends. Thanks, and looking forward to all of the great school spirit!
Honor Band 2018
Congratulations to the following band members selected for the 2018 honor band!!
Michael N. – Clarinet
Kathleen S. – Clarinet
Olivia D. – Clarinet
Lilly K. – Alto Sax
Anthony G. – Trumpet
Justin N. – Trombone
Jeffrey G. – Mallet Percussion
St. Joseph in Seattle is hosting a Mass and dinner on Friday, January 19 to celebrate CYO athletes. We wanted to extend this invitation to your athletes and families as well. We are looking forward to an evening of fellowship between communities. Athletes are invited to wear a sport uniform or other school/parish logo clothing. Please RSVP to Robby Hayes (St. Joseph Athletic Director) at email@example.com by Tuesday, January 16 with the number of guests and any dietary restrictions. Thank you!
Save the Date for the Father/Daughter Glow Bowl On April 27
Father/Daughter Glow Bowl on Friday, April 27 at West Seattle Bowl! All fathers and daughters welcome! Registration coming soon.
Adult Sunday School
Here are some upcoming ways to grow in your faith:
- The Question Box is back! Our next session will be tonight – Thursday, January 18 – at 6:30 p.m. The topic will be What is Catholic Social Teaching All About? We still haven’t chosen our topic for our next session, so ask any question you’d like and drop it in one of the question boxes at the entrances to the Church. We’ll answer them in a series of evening sessions through the winter and spring.
- Sunday School for Grown-ups offers adult-level insights into our faith on the first and third Sundays of each month between the morning Masses (about 9:30-10:20 a.m.). Our next topic will be What the Church Teaches on Life and Why with Karen Robel, on January 21!
- Bible Study! We’ll be starting a new study on the book of Exodus soon! Our current group meets on Wednesday mornings after the morning Mass, starting about 9:45. The next session will be January 24. If you would like to join the Wednesday morning group, or if you would like to join a group at a different time, please contact Robert King
If you would like more information, or if you have any suggestions to make, please contact Robert King at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-937-1488 x203.
Sunday Nursery Volunteers Needed
We’re looking for a few student volunteers for the Holy Rosary Sunday nursery from 10:30-11:30 a.m. to play with children in our Nursery during our 10:30 a.m. Mass. Our nursery always has two paid caregivers who will supervise the volunteer students. Volunteering in the nursery is a fun way to earn volunteer hours and to help your Parish. Our Parish nursery is in the Parish Center basement and is open every Sunday. Please click on this link for the nursery SignUpGenius to sign-up your child. If you have any questions, please contact Deyette at email@example.com or call at 206-937-1488, ext. 251.
Middle School Night at Bishop Blanchet
Join us for our Middle School Night at the BBHS home basketball games vs. Eastside Catholic tomorrow night — January 19! Boys’ JV plays at 4 p.m., girls’ varsity plays at 5:30 p.m., and boys’ varsity plays at 7:30 p.m. (no JV girls that evening).
All grade 6-8 students and their families get in free with their Brave Access Pass! Don’t currently have a Brave Access Pass? Apply online here. This game is a “white out,” which means all BBHS fans are welcome to wear white in support of the Braves!
Sports At The YMCA
Registration for indoor soccer (Pre-K through grade 1) and basketball (grades 6 -8) at the YMCA has begun. Flyers are in the school office with more details.
Marriage Enrichment At Our Lady Of Guadalupe
Monday nights on January 22, 28, February 5, and 12 at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church – 7000 35th Avenue SW.
- Presenter: Robert Fontana (licensed marriage therapist, associate)
- Time: 7-9 p.m.
- Location: Parish Center Basement Hall. Childcare available upon request.
- Cost: $50 per couple. To register, send names, cell number, address, email and fee to: CLM, 1827 NE 58th St. Apt B, Seattle, 98105 or email this information to Robert@catholiclifeministries.org and pay online at catholiclifeministries.org/donate/
Private Violin Lessons
Take private violin lessons with Signature Violin Studios in West Seattle! We train in the Suzuki method. Your first lesson is FREE! Contact Claire Braby (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information or visit www.clairebraby.com.