Dear Holy Rosary Families,
I hope you are all doing well this beautiful fall week!
Just a short message this week; a note about conferences. Conferences are coming up soon, and will be held the week of Thanksgiving on November 20, 21, and 22. Reminder, school will not be in session this week. The sign ups for conferences will be posted at noon this Friday, October 27 to the Holy Rosary School website. You should be able to select a time that works for you and your family using the sign-up genius link that will be posted.
Have a wonderful rest of the week!
CLASS OF 2017 NEWS – This time of year we’re working with our eighth graders on their high school applications. We thought it might be interesting for you to see where last year’s graduating class went!
Class of 2017
- Bishop Blanchet – 12 students
- Holy Names Academy – 3 students
- Kennedy Catholic – 21 students
- O’Dea – 5 students
- Seattle Prep – 7 students
- Aviation – 1 student
- SAAS – 1 student
- West Seattle – 1 student
- Capitol High School (Olympia) – 1 student
- Plant High School (Tampa, Florida) – 1 student
- King’s High School – 1 student
DROP OFF REMINDERS – As a courtesy to our Holy Rosary community, our neighbors, and the neighboring businesses, please do not use the alley behind the church as a throughway.
42nd Ave. Drop-Off – Please do not park on 42nd Avenue if your child needs extra assistance getting out of the car or needs help getting to the school. Parking on 42nd Avenue significantly slows the traffic flow, which causes many students to be tardy.
Alley Drop-Off – The office has received calls and feedback regarding alley drop-off. Please pull all the way forward to drop off, just before the two auction reserved parking spots. Children should not exit their cars before the designated area. Allowing children to exit early backs up traffic and is also dangerous. Please do not park and exit your car in the alley during drop off or pick-up. Thank you for helping us keep our children safe.
Drivers are encouraged to not turn right onto Dakota Street after dropping children. Please continue north on 42nd Avenue to the next block to turn right onto Andover Street. This will allow better access for drivers using the alley for drop-off.
- October 27 – First Pizza Lunch!
- October 27 – Trick or Treat Open House for Preschoolers
- November 10 – Veteran’s Day – no school – NO BASE
- November 17 – Book Fair Opens
- November 20-22 – Parent/Student/Teacher Conferences (regular school not in session) BASE Open
- November 23-24 – Thanksgiving break – no school
SCHOOL ACTION ITEMS
Book Fair Needs Volunteers
Fall conferences mean a Book Fair and a Book Fair needs volunteers. Can you help with setup, or cashiering, or closing the fair? The SignUpGenius here lists the exact times and activities.
Priority School Application For Current Families Adding A NEW Student
Click here for the 2018-19 online application for current school and parish families who are enrolling a NEW student to Holy Rosary (into preschool and/or grades K-8). Priority application runs until November 15. Re-enrollment for current Holy Rosary students will occur in January.
Accepting Financial Aid Applications
Applying for a Fulcrum Foundation tuition grant and Holy Rosary financial aid for the 2018-19 school year is open and available through FACTS. Click here to sign-in/or create an account to begin the application. Applying for Fulcrum aid and HRS aid uses the same FACTS application, please check Fulcrum to be considered for Fulcrum Foundation aid. Please complete your application before December 15. Any questions, please contact Jennifer Kokkonis at email@example.com.
EVENTS & FUNDRAISING
The FAMILY FUN CENTER MAGAZINE DRIVE prize is Friday, November 3. We’re still seeking chaperones for this event. The time commitment is from approximately 10-2. Duties involve riding a school bus to/from the Fun Center and chaperoning children while onsite. Please email Beth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, turn in completed permission slips to the office. No child will be allowed to leave the school without a signed permission slip. Extras are available in the office.
The ANNUAL FUND will be structured differently this year. November 1 will kick off the Annual Fund blitz. During the month of November the Annual Fund will be the #1 priority of the Development Office. Prayerfully consider what you are able to give. PLEDGES may be made here. PAYMENTS may be made here and are not required at the time of your pledge. Look for information pertaining to the Annual Fund each week in the eFC during the month of November as well as e-blasts with additional information.
Seeking MATCHING FUNDS! If you work for a company that matches time or money that you donate to nonprofit organizations, please submit prior to year-end. Direct questions to Beth Martin.
VOLUNTEERS WANTED for the Grant Committee. Are you a wordsmith, have a knack for asking for money, passionate about Holy Rosary? Join the Grant Committee and receive fundraising hours. The kickoff meeting is in November. Contact Beth Martin.
The AUCTION COMMITTEE is looking for shadows for a couple key positions. Contact Beth Martin.
Have you geared up for sports? Order your Gator Gear and duffel bags to hold all your gear. Make sure you place your Christmas orders early! All orders must be received prior to the 15th of each month. Thank you for supporting our Gators! Gator Gear order forms can always be found on our CYO page here or our Forms and Downloads page here.
- youth sweats and hoodie
- youth Sport-Tek fleece jacket, hoodie pullover, and duffel
- adult Sport-Tek fleece jacket, hoodie pullover, and duffel
Please note that CYO Sport-Tek Gator Gear and the cotton Gator sweatshirts/pants orders are run separately. Please do not combine orders or checks for accounting reasons. All CYO Sport-Tek proceeds benefit the CYO scholarship program for students in need.
CYO Holy Rosary Ski Bus (through Mohan Ski School)
Holy Rosary School ski bus is here! Departing Saturday mornings at approximately 7:15 from Holy Rosary and returning in the late afternoon/early evening. We need a minimum of 30 skiers registered to commit. We are working with a local ski outfitter to organize equipment rentals.
- Kindergarteners through fifth graders must have a chaperone (one parent to three kids maximum). That parent is responsible for their skiers, their equipment, and their lunches.
- Sixth graders can ride the bus without a parent chaperone, but without a designated chaperone, they must take a lesson at the mountain and be able to carry and manage their equipment and dinner.
- Seventh and eighth graders can ride the bus without a parent chaperone and do not need to take a lesson.
- Some parent organizing suggestions – Buy one bus ticket between three parents and trade off weeks. Carpool with other parents, and meet the bus at the mountain.
Click here to register. Thank you!
Once again this year I’m pleased to teach an after-school chess class. I keep seeing studies where chess playing is linked with Academics; helping kids with spatial ordering, forethought, and pattern recognition. I personally enjoy the mix of right brain creativity and left brain logic and order. It has been fun for me to see the kids at Holy Rosary steadily improve as they grow.
Just like past years, I will be teaching the class in my room (7A) from 3-3:45 on Thursdays starting today. The cost will be $15 per student. No need to send money; the school will bill your FACTS account at the end of the month. I am open to all ages, but I’ve noticed that many young kids really can’t sit and play a quiet game after a long day at school, so I leave that up to you to gauge. I’d like to keep it pretty informal — no need for an official sign-up. Just send your child when they want to start and we can go from there. Do email me with any questions here at email@example.com. Thank you, Mike Ritscher, 7A
Holy Rosary Women’s Shelter Opportunity
On Tuesday, November 7 we are having an open house in our shelter space on the third floor of the Parish Center to give you an opportunity to see the space and talk with us about what we do – and how you can use your time and talent to support the women who are our guests every Saturday and Sunday night from September to June.
Please take a few minutes and stop by before or after school drop off – from 8:15-8:45 a.m. and again from 2:45-3:15 p.m. If this does not work for your schedule, we will also have an open house after all three masses on November 11 and 12. More information is available on our website here or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Parents! Faith Formation For Adults
Holy Rosary Parish offers opportunities for adults to continue growing in their faith. A few I’d like to highlight:
- Rosary Making Group – Join us in making rosaries for the missions! We’ll meet on the first Saturday of each month after the 8:35 a.m. Mass (about 9:45) in the Parish Center. Supplies and instruction will be provided. It’s a great opportunity to get to know fellow parishioners while doing some practical good for others around the world!
- Bible Study – Our study of the Gospel of Matthew meets Wednesday mornings after the school Mass (about 9:45 a.m.). All are welcome to drop in. This is an excellent way to get to know the Bible generally and the story of Jesus in particular. Our next meeting will be November 1. For more information, please contact Robert King at email@example.com or 206-937-1488 x203.
- Sunday School for Grown-ups – Each session, we’ll host a grown-up conversation on a different topic, focusing on real-world experiences of faith, thoughtful discussion of your questions, and how we can follow Jesus better in our lives. We meet first and third Sundays between the Sunday Masses (roughly 9:30 – 10:20) in room 7A in the school. Our topic for November 5 will be “The Christian Life as Pilgrimage” with a presentation by Virginia Radel.
Holy Rosary’s Halloween Celebration, October 28, 6:15-8
All are invited to our Holy Rosary Halloween Celebration on Saturday, October 28 from 6:15 to 8 in the School Hall hosted by our Holy Rosary Youth Group. Halloween games, face painting, photo selfie booth, bob for apples, fun and spooky house and tasty treats and more. Suggested donation of $5 per person. All proceeds go to the Youth Group. Please come and invite your friend, neighbors and family! For questions, please contact Deyette at Dswegle@holyrosaryseattle.org or Youth Minister, Nicole Warren at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Youth (grades 6-8), High School, And Adult Volunteers Needed
We need help with our Halloween Celebration, October 28 from 6:15-8. This is a super fun opportunity for your teen in grade 6 through high school to volunteer. This also counts as volunteer hours. Please click here to sign up.
If you can’t volunteer on Saturday but would like to help, we need a few volunteers from 6:30-9:30 on Friday evening, October 27. Please email Deyette at Dswegle@holyrosaryseattle.org.
Volunteer For Holy Rosary Sunday Coffee & Donuts
Volunteering for C&D is easy, fun and social!
- Shifts are on Sunday morning from 8:15-10:30 or 10:30-12:45 including set-up and cleanup time.
- You can work the first or second shift or both.
- Sign-up with a group, just yourself or with your family.
- It’s easy to attend mass and also volunteer at C&D.
- School parents can use C&D for general service hours.
- Everything you need is provided including the donuts and there will always be a Lead Volunteer with you.
- Sign up here for Holy Rosary Sunday Coffee & Donuts.
Thank you for volunteering for Holy Rosary Parish!
Watts Basketball Camps
As you are aware, basketball season is right around the corner and there is probably still a lot to do to prepare. Watts basketball is big on helping players gain the confidence and life skills it takes to be the best player they can be. We are excited to help you and your players prepare for the season by hosting confidence and skill building camps and clinics in your community on days off from school!
Veteran’s Day Clinic
- When: November 10 from 9-3.
- Grades: 3-8
- Where: Salvation Army White Center, 9050 16th Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98106
- Fee: $70
- Click here to register
Holiday Hoop Camp
- When: December 18-22 or December 26-29 from 9-3.
- Grades: 3-8
- Where: Salvation Army White Center, 9050 16th Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98106
- Fee: $295 for the first week, $240 for the second week
- Click here to register for week 1
- Click here to register for week 2
Holiday Wine Fest
Holy Rosary School Alum Christopher Chan and the Chan family invite school families and parishioners 21+ to a day of sipping, sampling, and shopping at the 2017 Holiday Wine Fest, Saturday, November 11 at Seattle Center Exhibition Hall. Enjoy local and international wine, beer, cider, spirits, food, and artisan gift shopping at this comfortable and festive affair. Proceeds benefit Washington state wine and spirits industry educational scholarships. Holiday Wine Fest information is here and ticket purchase is here.
Auditions will be held on November 4 for boys aged 6-9. For more information, contact Northwest Boychoir at 206-524-3234.
West Seattle High Cheer Camp
The WSHS Cheerleaders will be holding a Mini Cheer Camp on Friday, November 10 in the West Seattle High School Gym from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Please see attached flyers for more details.
West Seattle Soccer Uniform Donations
Hello my name is Avery B. and I am the eighth grade. I am collecting West Seattle soccer uniforms and other soccer related items to donate to young soccer players in third world countries. A box will be set up in the main hallway for you to place your donations. I am collecting WSSC jerseys, shorts, and socks. I will also take shin guards, goalie jerseys, goalie gloves, cleats, soccer balls, and ball bags. Any items can be new or used. Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you, Avery B.
Here is the link to the passback organization website to tell you more.
After School Art Workshops!
Another fabulous six-week Art Workshop session (B2) is scheduled to begin on Thursday, November 2. This art workshop happens right next door to Holy Rosary School, at Seattle Lutheran High School, and is taught by Ms. Reuter (former Art Teacher at Holy Rosary). We’ll be creating ceramic totem poles, splatter paint masterpieces, balloon animals, illuminated manuscripts, and much more! Grades 1-6 are welcome to join. Please note that the Art Workshop is not a Holy Rosary School program. Register online here or email Ms. Reuter at email@example.com.
Additionally, Ms. Reuter will soon be offering Art Nights for grown ups. That means you! It’s time to unleash your inner child and have some fun! Please show your support for Ms. Reuter programs by liking Rainbow Parrot Art on Facebook and help spread the word: www.facebook.com/rainbowparrotart/
Ingraham High School Open House For Private School Families
November 8 at 7 p.m. in Ingraham Library. This is a general information night open to parents and students new to the Seattle Public Schools. Ingraham staff will answer any questions about academics, sports, clubs and student life at Ingraham. More information is posted on the Ingraham website here.