Dear Holy Rosary Families,
I hope you are having a wonderful week!
There are many exciting things happening at school right now. We’re coming up to our fall Open House, October 21 from 10-1. Help us spread the word to prospective families! You are the best ambassadors of our community- thank you for all you do to promote Holy Rosary School.
We’re very excited about our new social emotional and anti-bullying curriculum that just arrived for grades K-8. One of our accreditation goals is to strengthen our social emotional programs, and this is one important step. You can learn about our new materials, which include anti-bullying components, here. There are a number of wonderful parent resources available on this website as well, including some important information of cyber safety for kids. Look for more information coming soon from your child’s homeroom teacher.
Student-led conferences are coming up, so I just wanted to make sure you had the dates marked on your calendar. Conferences will be held the week of Thanksgiving, November 20 – 22. A sign-up will come out soon to families so you can select your day and time. Please remember, that while students are present at most grades to be a part of the conferences, we do not follow a regular school schedule for the week. Other than the conference time, classes are not formally in session conference week.
Finally, many of you have asked about supporting local hurricane and flood relief efforts throughout the country and in Puerto Rico and other areas devastated. I know that this will likely be an area of focus of at least one Advent service project coming up. In the meantime, Catholic Relief Services is collecting donations and providing support, and any support you wish to make on behalf of the relief efforts can be made directly to CRS here.. I am thankful to be a part of such a wonderful, generous, prayerful community. Thank you to all of you who have asked how to help.
- October 13 – Closing Assembly Magazine Drive
- October 20 – Mother/Son Glow Bowl
- October 21 – Open House
- October 26 – Picture Retake Day
- October 27 – First Pizza Lunch!
- October 27 – Trick or Treat Open House for Preschoolers
- November 10 – Veteran’s Day – no school – NO BASE
- November 17 – Book Fair Opens
- November 21-22 – Parent/Student/Teacher Conferences (regular school not in session) BASE Open
- November 23-24 – Thanksgiving break – no school
SCHOOL ACTION ITEMS
Eighth grade pizza lunch sign-ups are here! There is an option to sign up for all 10 lunches on set dates throughout the school year or pick and choose dates you would like to participate – $4 for a single slice, $6 for two slices of cheese pizza. Each lunch includes pizza, chips, drink, and a treat that are delivered to classrooms by our eighth grade students. Proceeds go to support eighth grade events (retreats, Fun Day, Baccalaureate Dinner, Graduation Reception, etc.).
Priority School Application For Current Families
2018-19 priority application period is 9/15 through 11/15. We will be accepting applications from current school and parish families for preschool and kindergarten beginning 9/15. There will be an Open House on October 21 from 10-1. Please help spread the word!
EVENTS & FUNDRAISING
MAGAZINE DRIVE sales are officially over! Thank you to all the families who sold magazines. We ended with 93% participation!!! THANK YOU!!!
A HUGE thank you to Jennifer Wong and Jenni Rowley, co-chairs, and the rest of the Magazine Drive volunteers. This is the school’s second largest fundraiser and wouldn’t be successful without volunteer support.
The closing assembly is tomorrow at 2 p.m. Prizes will also be distributed before school dismissal. The prize coordinator, Holly Christenson, will be stationed in the School Hall after school for those with questions regarding their prizes. Thank you to Holly and her team of prize elves for packaging all those prizes. It is a big undertaking, especially when our school reaches 93% participation!!!
Finally, the FAMILY FUN CENTER is scheduled for Friday, November 3. This is the reward for those who sold 25 subscriptions individually/families that sold 40. Approximately 20 volunteers are needed for this reward. We will depart Holy Rosary at 9:30 a.m. and return by 1:30 p.m. Permission slips will go home soon, please return as quickly as possible. Contact Beth at email@example.com if you wish to volunteer.
Did we STAY ON TARGET and reach our goal? Join us at 2 p.m. Friday to find out.
Mother-Son Glow Bowl
Sign-ups are open for the 2017 Annual Mother-Son Glow Bowl, open to Prek-8th grade Holy Rosary School families. Glow Bowl takes place on October 20, from 5-8 p.m., at West Seattle Bowl. This year’s theme is football! $40 for mother and one son, plus $5 for each additional boy in the family. If you are “adopting” a son of another parent who is unable to attend, the cost is $20 for that boy. Call Cheryl Mauer at 206-786-2176 or Courtney Africa at 206-910-4560 with questions.
Have you geared up for sports? Order your Gator Gear and duffel bags to hold all your gear. Make sure you place your Christmas orders early! All orders must be received prior to the 15th of each month. Thank you for supporting our Gators! Gator Gear order forms can always be found on our CYO page here or our Forms and Downloads page here.
- youth sweats and hoodie
- youth Sport-Tek fleece jacket, hoodie pullover, and duffel
- adult Sport-Tek fleece jacket, hoodie pullover, and duffel
Please note that CYO Sport-Tek Gator Gear and the cotton Gator sweatshirts/pants orders are run separately. Please do not combine orders or checks for accounting reasons. All CYO Sport-Tek proceeds benefit the CYO scholarship program for students in need.
CYO Basketball Signup
CYO Basketball – LAST CALL for Bonzi Registration – CLOSES TOMORROW – OCTOBER 13!
It is once again time to get ready for the 2017-2018-basketball season. Please come join us for another exciting season of Gator Ball. The online registration site should be open for you to go in and register now. The deadline to register is tomorrow. Any late registrations after October 14 will be accepted on a space availability basis. Registration will include the cost of the uniform. If you have a uniform from last year that your son or daughter can still use, you will have the choice to forgo ordering a new uniform and reduce the registration fee by $15. You’ll need to input the uniform number during the registration process in order to forgo the new uniform order.
GRADES 4-8 – The 2017/2018 registration fees are:
- Grade 4 – $85
- Grade 5 – $100
- Grade 6-8 – $100
Dates to remember:
- October 13 – Registration deadline
- October 20 – Team’s practice schedules will be decided
- October 30 – Practices will begin
- November 18 – Games begin
For more detailed information about the overall CYO basketball season, click here. Any questions regarding the Holy Rosary program please send me an email or give me a call.
- Boys – Registration closes January 19, 2018. Games Begin on February 23, 2018.
- Girls – Registration closes March 16, 2018. Games Begin April 13, 2018.
- Registration fees TBD.
CYO Holy Rosary Ski Bus (through Mohan Ski School)
Holy Rosary School ski bus is here! Departing Saturday mornings at approximately 7:15 from Holy Rosary and returning in the late afternoon/early evening. We need a minimum of 30 skiers registered to commit. We are working with a local ski outfitter to organize equipment rentals.
- Kindergarteners through fifth graders must have a chaperone (one parent to three kids maximum). That parent is responsible for their skiers, their equipment, and their lunches.
- Sixth graders can ride the bus without a parent chaperone, but without a designated chaperone, they must take a lesson at the mountain and be able to carry and manage their equipment and dinner.
- Seventh and eighth graders can ride the bus without a parent chaperone and do not need to take a lesson.
- Some parent organizing suggestions – Buy one bus ticket between three parents and trade off weeks. Carpool with other parents, and meet the bus at the mountain.
Click here to register. Thank you!
Once again this year I’m pleased to teach an after-school chess class. I keep seeing studies where chess playing is linked with Academics; helping kids with spatial ordering, forethought, and pattern recognition. I personally enjoy the mix of right brain creativity and left brain logic and order. It has been fun for me to see the kids at Holy Rosary steadily improve as they grow.
Just like past years, I will be teaching the class in my room (7A) from 3-3:45 on Thursdays starting today. The cost will be $15 per student. No need to send money; the school will bill your FACTS account at the end of the month. I am open to all ages, but I’ve noticed that many young kids really can’t sit and play a quiet game after a long day at school, so I leave that up to you to gauge. I’d like to keep it pretty informal — no need for an official sign-up. Just send your child when they want to start and we can go from there. Do email me with any questions here at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you, Mike Ritscher, 7A
- Becoming Catholic – the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) is a process for non-Catholics who are thinking about joining the Catholic Church as full and practicing members. We have changed our meeting time to Tuesday mornings at 10 in the Parish Office. If you have questions, please contact Robert King.
- Adult Confirmation – Join us at our next meeting on Thursday, October 26 at 6:15 p.m. in the Parish Center.
- Sunday School for Grown-ups – Our topic for October 15 will be “Ghosts and Saints: A Catholic view of death and the afterlife”
Parish Online Giving
Holy Rosary Parish changed our online giving company to Our Sunday Visitor on July 1.. If you were paying your parish stewardship donation online prior to July 1, all automatic contributions ended on June 29.
It’s easy to reinstate your account! Visit the Holy Rosary Parish website to create a new account and begin contributing online again to our parish. This new system will be more convenient for you because you can make changes at any time. You can see reports on your contribution history and generate tax statements at each year’s end. Go to www.holyrosaryseattle.com and click on SUPPORT US to get started.
Use the online giving app on your Apple or Android products. Scan this code or go to the App Store or Google Play Store to download the Our Sunday Visitor app, and then register your device with our special church ID number of 4255.
Your contributions help to support the ministries of Holy Rosary, providing assistance to our parish, community, country and world! Please prayerfully consider reinstating your online donation.
WANTED – Parent looking for volunteer hours. Soup Kitchen is looking for a cook/trainee. We meet the first two Thursdays of every month from 8:45-10:45 a.m. in the Lanigan gym kitchen. We make soup for the Lazarus men’s center downtown. Must be able to lift 20 pounds. Must be willing to commit to the full school year. If interested or if you have questions please call or text Chris Dormaier 206.412.0168. Thanks for considering.
Altar Server Training
Time to sign up for training and serve! This training is for both new and continuing altar servers. Training is required to serve.
Boys and girls in grades 5, 6, 7 and 8 from Holy Rosary and all neighboring schools can serve the holy people of God during Mass. When we join in the Mass, we remember Jesus and give thanks and praise for all the good things that God does for us.
Altar servers assist the whole church in praying. They carry the crucifix, candles and books at Mass. They prepare the altar so that bread and wine can become the Body and Blood of Christ!
The priests and the other ministers who help us celebrate the Mass rely on the altar servers so that we can all receive Christ through the Word of God and through the Eucharist. Servers are trained after school or in the evening. Current altar servers receive follow-up training. Older altar servers can become acolytes, or head altar servers, and lead the younger servers at Mass!
Please pick one of the following times. Use the Signup Genius link via the Holy Rosary Parish weblink to choose your session. Note that after-school sessions start five minutes after the end of school. All training is in the church.
- Thursday, 10/26 – 3:05-5 p.m.
- Thursday, 10/26 – 6-8 p.m.
- Friday, 10/27 – 3:05-5 p.m.
- Thursday, 11/2 – 3:05-5 p.m.
- The 11/3 date is no longer available.
We will do training together for new and old. This helps the new servers learn quicker. We’ll include up to 20 servers per session, and split into smaller groups if needed.
Thank you for your ministry!
Holy Rosary Family Halloween Celebration
Save the date – October 28 – for Holy Rosary’s Family Halloween Celebration. All are invited to our Holy Rosary Family Halloween Celebration on Saturday evening, October 28, from 6:15-8:00 in the School Hall; hosted by our Holy Rosary Youth Group. Halloween games, face painting, fun and spooky house, tasty treats, and more. We always welcome volunteers (adults, sixth through eighth graders and high schoolers) to help with this very fun event either on Friday night, October 27 for set-up, shopping, etc. and/or on October 28.
If you can help with these special requests, please contact Deyette:
- Photo Booth equipment or connection for a reduced price or better yet…free.
- Special deal on mini-pumpkins quantity of 150.
Parents! Faith Formation For Adults
As the school year begins, Holy Rosary Parish is offering opportunities for adults to continue growing in their faith. A couple I’d like to highlight:
- Becoming Catholic – the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) is a process for non-Catholics who are thinking about joining the Catholic Church as full and practicing members. We meet (almost) every Wednesday evenings at 6:30 in the Parish Office. Our next meeting will be October 4.
- Adult Confirmation – Confirmation is a critical step in your life as a Catholic. It gives you grace and authority to live a fully Catholic life, including full participation in the liturgy and ministry of the Church, and being a godparent or sponsor for someone else. If you were baptized as a Catholic, but have not received the sacrament of confirmation, please fill out the online registration (https://holyrosaryseattle.org/adult-confirmation-1) and join us at our next meeting on Thursday, October 12 at 6:30 p.m. in the Parish Office.
- Sunday School for Grown-ups – Each week, we’ll host a grown-up conversation on a different topic, focusing on real-world experiences of faith, thoughtful discussion of your questions, and how we can follow Jesus better in our lives. We meet first and third Sundays between the Sunday Masses (roughly 9:30 – 10:20) in room 7A in the school. Our topic for October 1 will be “The Rosary: History and Promise”.
For more information, please contact Robert King at email@example.com or 206-937-1488 x203.
Johns Hopkins University Center For Talented Youth
The 2017-18 Center For Talented Youth Talent Search sponsored by Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth is underway. The purpose of the Talent Search is to identify, assess and recognize the academic abilities of highly capable students. To find out more about the variety of services and opportunities available to students, you can check out their website at: www.cty.jhu.edu Registration and payment information for this optional opportunity can be found on the website. There are also a few brochures located in the main office.
West Seattle Soccer Uniform Donations
Hello my name is Avery B. and I am the eighth grade. I am collecting West Seattle soccer uniforms and other soccer related items to donate to young soccer players in third world countries. A box will be set up in the main hallway for you to place your donations. I am collecting WSSC jerseys, shorts, and socks. I will also take shin guards, goalie jerseys, goalie gloves, cleats, soccer balls, and ball bags. Any items can be new or used. Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you. Avery B.
Here is the link to the passback organization website to tell you more.
After School Art Workshops!
Another fabulous six-week Art Workshop session (B2) is scheduled to begin on Thursday, November 2. This art workshop happens right next door to Holy Rosary School, at Seattle Lutheran High School, and is taught by Ms. Reuter (former Art Teacher at Holy Rosary). We’ll be creating ceramic totem poles, splatter paint masterpieces, balloon animals, illuminated manuscripts, and much more! Grades 1-6 are welcome to join. Please note that the Art Workshop is not a Holy Rosary School program. Register online here or email Ms. Reuter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additionally, Ms. Reuter will soon be offering Art Nights for grown ups. That means you! It’s time to unleash your inner child and have some fun! Please show your support for Ms. Reuter programs by liking Rainbow Parrot Art on Facebook and help spread the word: www.facebook.com/rainbowparrotart/
Ingraham High School Open House For Private School Families
November 8 at 7 p.m. in Ingraham Library. This is a general information night open to parents and students new to the Seattle Public Schools. Ingraham staff will answer any questions about academics, sports, clubs and student life at Ingraham. More information is posted on the Ingraham website here.