Dear Holy Rosary Families,
I hope this letter finds you and your family happy and healthy in the new year! I also hope your family had a blessed Christmas and that the break was a time for relaxation and rejuvenation.
We are moving quickly into 2018, and busy with preparations for next year! Look for tuition information to come home on Friday for the 2018-2019 school year with your family’s eFC carrier (youngest child in your family). If your family is requesting financial aid for next year, please do complete your application through the FACTS system as soon as possible.
January 12 Noon Dismissal
Please remember January 12 will be a noon dismissal to celebrate the Magazine Drive participation. BASE will be open.
Champions of Holy Rosary School Award
Last year we changed the Distinguished Alumni Award, awarded during Catholic Schools week, to the Champions of Holy Rosary School Award to honor the unique and outstanding contributions individuals make to make Holy Rosary School the amazing place it is. Last year’s recipient was Todd Waltier.
It’s time for this year’s nominations! Do you know of an individual you believe has made an outstanding difference in our school community? This could be an alumni, citizen, current school family, or community member! We are accepting nominations until January 15. Please send nominations, along with a brief summary of the individual’s contributions and why you feel they are a Champion of Holy Rosary School to Jennifer Kokkonis (firstname.lastname@example.org) by January 15.
- January 12 – Noon Dismissal Magazine Drive Reward – BASE Open
- January 15 – Dr. Martin Luther King Holiday (no school) – BASE CLOSED
- January 28 – Start of Catholic Schools Week Mass
- January 31 – Grandparent’s Day
- February 9 – Kindergarten Testing (no school for Kindergarten)
- February 24 – Crab Feed Dinner
SCHOOL ACTION ITEMS
Accepting Financial Aid Applications
The Fulcrum Foundation Grant application period closes tomorrow Friday, January 5. The deadline for Holy Rosary School aid is January 31. Click here to sign-in/or create an account to begin the application. Any questions, please contact Jennifer Kokkonis at email@example.com.
Upcoming 2018-19 Student Re-Enrollment
Re-enrollment of current students will begin Monday, January 15 and end January 31. More information will be in next week’s eFC.
EVENTS & FUNDRAISING
Invitations to the GRANDPARENTS & SPECIAL FRIENDS LUNCH went out over break. If you did not reply to the previous requests for addresses, please complete the form ASAP. Due to the lateness, all invitations will now be sent via email. RSVP deadline is January 17th. The lunch will be on Wednesday, January 31 at 11:30, with doors opening at 11.
Volunteers are needed for the Grandparents/Special Friends Lunch, please sign up to volunteer here.
Congrats to 7B on winning the AMAZON competition and a pj/pizza party this month! Don’t forget the Amazon button on our webpage gives 7% back all year along, so please make purchases through this link. The Amazon app does NOT give money back to the school.
Time to get those AUCTION ITEMS in. A reminder that each family is responsible for procuring an auction item valued at $175 or making a cash donation of $175 to Holy Rosary. If you choose to donate cash, then the auction committee will combine funds to purchase unique items and experiences.
- Date: April 21
- Location: Brockey Center, South Seattle College
- Volunteer: plenty of volunteer opportunities will be available, contact Beth Martin if interested in getting involved early. One opportunity available now: Do you or someone you know quilt? Kindergarten is looking to revive the quilt and looking for assistance. This will count toward fundraising hours.
- Information: check out the auction page here.
- Donate An Item: HERE
- Donate Cash: HERE
All donations must be entered by Wednesday, January 31 and dropped off at the school by Wednesday, February 28.
Coding With Kids
News From The Band
The long wait is over! 2018 HONOR BAND season is about to begin but first — IT’S AUDITION TIME! All band members in grades 6-8 have received detailed information about the audition process.
- Monday, January 8 from 5 to 7:15 – clarinets/saxes/drums
- Wednesday, January 10 from 5-7:15 – flutes/bells/trumpets/baritone/trombones
ALL AUDITIONS ARE HELD IN THE KENNEDY CATHOLIC MUSIC ROOM. Auditions for the eighth grade Cambronero Memorial Band Scholarship to Kennedy Catholic High School is held together with Honor Band auditions. ALL eighth graders have been given a special letter from Mr. Fischer, Kennedy Catholic’s Band Director.
2018 HONOR BAND! Be a part of something special!!
Registration for CYO volleyball is open for boys and girls in grades 4-11. The registration deadline is January 16. Please use this link to register. Although the form asks for the student’s age in the fall, we are looking for their current grade. Please contact Katherine Gudgel at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. We are also looking for someone to take over coordinating volleyball after this year. Contact Katherine Gudgel or Lisa Quinn.
Opportunities for Adults!
Here are some upcoming ways to grow in your faith:
Sunday School for Grown-ups offers adult-level insights into our faith on the first and third Sundays of each month between the morning Masses (about 9:30-10:20 a.m.). Our next couple topics will be:
- January 7 – Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist with Darlene Chan in the School, Room 7A
- January 21 – What the Church Teaches on Life and Why with Karen Robel
- Bible Study! We’ll be starting a new study on the book of Exodus soon! Our current group meets on Wednesday mornings after the morning Mass, starting about 9:45. The next session will be January 10. If you would like to join the Wednesday morning group, or if you would like to join a group at a different time, please contact Robert King
- The Question Box is back! Ask any question you’d like, and drop it in one of the Question Boxes at the entrances to the Church. We’ll answer them in a series of evening sessions through the winter and spring. Our next session will be on Thursday, January 18 at 6:30 p.m. The topic will be What is Catholic Social Teaching all about?
If you would like more information, or if you have any suggestions to make, please contact Robert King at email@example.com or 206-937-1488 x203.
A Child Becomes Art Workshop
Upcoming Art Workshops for Tweens and Teens – A Child Becomes is hosting a series of sessions in graphic design led by professional artist, Sean Williams. Each session meets three evenings and focuses on a different aspect of graphic design: Lettering/Fonts and Illustrations and Comics. This series of workshops is geared towards kids who are 9+ and interested in exploring graphic design techniques in a fun and creative atmosphere. The next session, Creative Lettering, Fonts and Graphics, begins Monday, January 15. Visit our website here to sign up.
After School Art Workshop Awesomeness at Seattle Lutheran High School
Ms. Reuter is super excited for our next Art Workshop session (B3), which begins TODAY (January 4) and runs for six consecutive weeks. We’re going to be making ceramic birds with melted glass, finger paint masterpieces, magical miniature Altoid tin scenes, tinfoil sculpture, monochromatic collages and more! For more information visit: www.rainbowparrotart.com. Please note that this is not a Holy Rosary School program.