Our practices will start Tuesday, September 8th and will continue every Tuesday and Thursday from 4-5pm
Dear Holy Rosary Parents,
They that hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar as with eagle’s wings; They will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint. Isaiah 40:31
I’m excited that my second season of leading the Holy Rosary Gator cross country team is about to commence! Our practices will start Tuesday, September 8th and will continue every Tuesday and Thursday from 4-5pm. Please note that we meet at the south end of Lincoln Park, the parking lot closest to the ferry terminal. This newsletter may be review for many of you but I want review my goals for the team, introduce the coaches, the CYO sports philosophy, and the expectations for practices.
If you have not yet signed up your child(ren) please do so via this link on the HRS website: https://www.secure-sam.com/holyrosary.bonzidev.com/sam/registration/reg_list.php
My goal for every child on the team is for them to learn about the sport of cross country, develop a life-long love of running, and most importantly have fun while doing it! CYO sports are about participation, and while I want everyone to do their best, your children shouldn’t feel pressured to be the fastest on the team. Your children should finish practice a little tired but energized by the workout and the fun they had with their team mates. If your child is anxious or not enjoying practices please let me know – I’m open to “tweaking” things to accommodate everyone if possible.
We are fortunate to have a great group of coaches to help with the team, everyone has some great running experience that they are excited to share with the kids.
- Clara Carreno – Clara has been running marathons for years! She is a great addition to the team this year.
- Charise Addicks – I’m the head coach and have run in several half marathons and relay races. I’m excited to bring the fun of running to the Holy Rosary gators!
- Kevin Padon – Kevin is an active road racer and has been helping with the team for over 4 years!
- Sarah Mackay – Sarah participates in many local road races and triathalons. This is her third year coaching!
- Nikki Kloeppel – Nikki is an active runner and has completed many road races!
- Melissa Carlstedt – Melissa has both 1st grader and 2nd grader, so she’ll be sweeping and keeping the kids together. This is a very important job and we are thrilled to have her!
- Neil Shannon – Neil is a track and field thrower turned runner and we are happy to add his talent to the team!
- Tammy and Matt Simmons – Tammy and Matt are active runners that are both volunteering to help with the team this year. So glad to have them!
- Lindy Taylor – Lindy is a long time runner with an enthusiasm that will be very welcomed!
- Ty Hansen – Ty is a new addition this year, and we are thrilled to have Ty on board!
I very much appreciate all of the parent coaches. We have had more interest and we would love to have all of you there with us! I expect a big team this year, and we want as much participation a possible!
A couple rules I’d like you to review with your kids:
- No one is allowed to roam the park without adult supervision. We’ll have a buddy system for the bathrooms and no child is to go alone.
- No sticks, rocks, pine cones or other projectiles during practice
- All team members must run in one of two of the preliminary meets in order to run in the championships
- No crocs, sandals, flip-flops or summer shoes. Please send your children in proper running shoes and attire.
The CYO office is requiring that we provide volunteers at each meet. I will need 2 individuals at each meet to help set up (if we are in the 1:00 pool), monitor the course, work in the finish chute, or help tear down (if we are in the 3:00 pool). We will be fined $50 if we don’t have volunteers. Please let me know if you can help – you’ll be there cheering on your kids anyway and you get volunteer hours!
Thank you again for having your children participate in Cross Country – please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Run far, run fast, run hard!
SAVE THE DATES!
- 1st Preliminary Meet – Sunday, September 20th@ 3:15pm– Lower Woodland Park
- 2nd Preliminary Meet – Sunday, September 27th @ 1pm – Lower Woodland Park
- K-3 Championships – Sunday, October 4th@ 2:30pm – Lower Woodland Park
- TEAM BBQ – Thursday, October 8th – immediately following practice @ 5pm – Lincoln Park – more info to come (will need volunteers to cook!!)
- 4-8 Championships – Sunday, October 11th @ 1pm – Lower Woodland Park